Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #1

K10D Newbie

I just received my new K10D yesterday and shot alot of stuff last night inside (too dark out when I got home to shoot outdoors, and am at work now). I noticed something that bothered me. When I took the pictures in what I assumed was decent light, the camera took a black picture. Granted the flash was off.

I adjusted the iso to 800 (was set to auto), set it for apperture priority and opened it all the way and took some more. The pictures were better, but still pretty dark. I set it to the green mode and reshot. A little better still, but still dark. What am I doing wrong (aside from the flash)? What setting should I be changing?

I only ask because I have a Sony DSC T100 that takes remarkably good pictures indoors without a flash. The iso for that one is sometimes as high as 1600, but it gets a bit noisy. Anyway, any thought?

Thanks in advance.

11-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #2

There were serveral threads posted about similiar issue with the K10D, I think if you play around with the metering mode (example: to center point and lock exposure etc...). It should produce a brighter picture.
11-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tim,

I responded to this question where you x-posted it over at photo.net.

Will
11-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kingtutley Quote
I adjusted the iso to 800 (was set to auto), set it for apperture priority and opened it all the way and took some more. The pictures were better, but still pretty dark. I set it to the green mode and reshot. A little better still, but still dark. What am I doing wrong (aside from the flash)? What setting should I be changing?
[/QUOTE]

Is the EV compensation turned way over to the left? That persists (by default) even when you turn the camera off and on again.

11-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Forum Member

I just received my new K10D yesterday and shot alot of stuff last night inside (too dark out when I got home to shoot outdoors, and am at work now). I noticed something that bothered me. When I took the pictures in what I assumed was decent light, the camera took a black picture. Granted the flash was off.

What lens are you using? I also take shots indoors and don't find the same problem you are having, even using the factory presets and an 18-55 kit lens.
11-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, I am using the kit 18-55 lens. The problems appear to be associated with the TAv settings. I did notice that the auto iso max/min was set 100-400. I am trying, however to keep the iso at 400. I have not really taken a good look at the 800 and 1600 pics to see if the are noisy, but I have heard/read that they are. I have been posting on photo.net and I think I have found some solutions. Thanks.
11-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, I am using the kit 18-55 lens. The problems appear to be associated with the TAv settings. I did notice that the auto iso max/min was set 100-400. I am trying, however to keep the iso at 400. I have not really taken a good look at the 800 and 1600 pics to see if the are noisy, but I have heard/read that they are. I have been posting on photo.net and I think I have found some solutions. Thanks.
1600 is a bit noisy for my taste, but if there's not enough light, noise is often better than blur. (And shake reduction doesn't help if your subjects are moving.) It's all subjective, of course, but I wouldn't hesitate to use 800 or 1200 when the light calls for it.
11-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

In TAv mode, you are working with a fixed ISO value and you can select shutterspeed and aperture using your dial knobs. If you change shutterspeed, your aperture is adjusted and visa versa. It should work right. Off course.

Things go wrong if you select a shutterspeed / aperture that cannot be compensated by the other. However, if that is the case, the numbers in your display should go flashing.

Are you sure you are not measuring light in spot? You could be selecting a relative light object in spot mode and under exposure the entire picture.

I'm working with firmware rev 1.3.

- Bert

11-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well, I said I would check it out, but I have no idea how, the manual doesn't even mention it as far as I could tell. How do I find the firmware version on this thing?
11-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, I said I would check it out, but I have no idea how, the manual doesn't even mention it as far as I could tell. How do I find the firmware version on this thing?

Turn off the camera.

Hold down the Menu button while turning ON the camera. Note the firmware version.

Turn the camera back off.

Will
11-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
Wow, version 1.0. I'm on my way to Pentax.com. Thanks . I doubt this will really do anything for the pictures I've been taking, but it can't hurt anything.