Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #1

Pentax istD not recording images to card

Images are not being saved to my memory card for some reason. I have checked everything listed in the manual for this issue and cannot resolve it. It seems to take a photo and the image info is displayed in the LCD panel, but no image is displayed and when I check on the computer there is no image on the card. The card works in other cameras. Batteries are fresh. Weather is fine.....

Any ideas?

05-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More info

Probably need more info. Does the card report "no images"
Is it possible you have a blank image from gross under-exposure, or do the details match the sunny16 rule. ie 1/iso at F/16?, is the image displayed on the rear LCD panel at the time of taking?
If there really is no image displayed at all, you have to face the real possibility your camera has died. Hope that helps

Last edited by keithlester; 05-30-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: to make better sense
05-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
Pentax istD card not recording images

The camera does not report 'no images', but when I take an image, briefly the number of images on the display reduces by one, then returns to the original number, indicating there is still the same amount of space left on the card.
05-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried a different/new card, and also formatted the existing card with the camera? Is the firmware up to date and is the card compatible with the firmware (some newer cards may not be with the D
I have a couple of cards that don't work in all my cameras that are older and reformatting can help, otherwise i use a different card and no issues

Last edited by eddie1960; 05-30-2011 at 08:36 AM.
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
I've used a number of different cards.....initially the 'black' images were assigned numbers and when I downloaded to the computer, the thumbnails showed, but were black. I will try newer firmware to see if that works. I appreciate your comments, thankyou.
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moriimage Quote
The camera does not report 'no images', but when I take an image, briefly the number of images on the display reduces by one, then returns to the original number, indicating there is still the same amount of space left on the card.
but, does the image appear on the rear display at the point of taking or does no image appear at all? If that were the case, the card is not likely to be the suspect. Especially as it reports the available space to the camera.
The appearance or non-appearance of the review image is key to understanding the problem..
05-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
No review image appears....the screen lights up but only a gray screen appears. I have downloaded the newest firmware I could find 1.12 and no change. Oh boy.......

05-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not the card

Not card-related I fear. It would appear your camera is goosed. So sorry. Time for an upgrade, surely your significant other will sympathise and buy you a new body, which Pentax to chose...............
05-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
One more piece of info. Cards from other cameras that already have images on them are displayed properly in the camera, so I'm thinking it is not the cards.
05-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or the reader
Given which camera it is likely not worth the dosh to diagnose repair
You could pick up a used working one around 1-150 i would think hell id sell my ds for 150 with a kit lens)