Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz 45 CL-4 Digital flash help

I posted this on the flash forum but got no answers so if you can help it would be appreciated.
Hi, any one using a Metz 48cl-4 digital version with our Pentax cameras?
I'm look for assistance suggestions on the set up and use of the different settings for
normal flash use
fill flash
hightlight the subject
advice on when to use Pttl and when to use Auto?
any other thoughts?
regards
Alistair
oh yes, to be used on a K10d and K-r

06-06-2011, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I have a Metz 48, so I may be able to help you. Do you have any specific questions?
06-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've used Metz for a number of years now and have no complaints about the flash units themselves although I have been less impressed by some of their battery packs.

The use of the flash depends on 1,001 different variables so there are even less hard and fast rules than for using a camera. In fact due to the rather sensitive nature of digital to minor variations in light levels (film was so much more forgiving) flash has to be used with a certain amount of caution. I must admit that I have never successfully used auto or TTL but instead rely on the histogram, gut instinct and more than a bit of PS to see me through. Highlighting is perhaps the most difficult situation and here bracketing is invaluable but it is still very difficult to get a reasonable effect especially in dull lighting where the mismatch in lighting levels between subject and background can be very pronounced with only the lightest touch of flash.

Where I have enjoyed some success is in the theatre or similar situation where there is reasonable distance between you and the subject. Here I just whack the unit on full or half power and set the camera to match the flash, unsophisticated but it can work well, these were taken with a K10 using this approach - Pallas Players

On the other hand I have struggled with cheque presentations in pubs etc where there is a lack of room and decent background and even the higher ISO's of the K5 haven't helped, no doubt more practice and experimentation will though but there are no easy answers.
06-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I have a Metz 48, so I may be able to help you. Do you have any specific questions?
before I bother you do you have the newer digital version?
regards
Alistair

06-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, I use it on my K-5 and previously on K-7 and K20D.

Sent from my EVO 4G with CM7
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Yes, I use it on my K-5 and previously on K-7 and K20D.

thank you, please can you tell me if you use the auto setting or only the ptt setting?
Also i would appreciate any suggestion of settings you use?
As there is no power or zoom settings I have found that -1/2 stop output set in the flash menu seems to "soften" the flash have you tried this?
regards
Alistair
06-08-2011, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I often use it in manual mode for off-camera lighting.

When it's on my camera, I tend to us Pentax's PTTL mode. However, Pentax flashes don't do nearly as good of a job as Nikon for metering exposure for flash, so sometimes the results may be weird.

If you are bouncing flash, I would suggest adding exposure compensation to the flash to drown out ambient light. If you are fill flashing, you may want to use negative flash compensation.

Does that help?