Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dust or gunk

Hi all!
I bought one of the last new k-xís about 2 months ago. I was very careful when changing lenses and I tried taking picture out doors with different f-stops to see the different qualities of the lens. I noticed on the higher f-stops a pretty large brown ďwhatever", and figured out that it must be something on the sensor, as I tried this with different lenses and they show up the same.
One was large, and one smaller and another, a hair like particle. The squiggly line I figure is a dust particle, but the others donít look like a dust particle, but some goo stuck on to it.
I was very disappointed as itís really new, and it probably was there from day one.
I did a dust check, and surprisingly, it showed a whole bunch of critters, but not the big guys I see on the pictures.
I used the shake off feature a few times with no results.
I saw some previous threads about this and I will further try the blow method (first I got go get a good blower).
My question now is, is this kind of thing covered by the warrantee or not. If not I would like to know if any of you have tried to do this yourselves. Iím pretty handy and think I can be very careful not to mess things up.
I was thinking of using some lens paper to gently swab or brush the sensor. I also am aware that I cannot touch anything with bare hands.
Using the mirror up feature to access the sensor, do I have to keep the camera on or will it stay up in the off position. If it works only in the on position (I think thatís the case) then wonít the sensor attract dust when the sensor energizes?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Jake

05-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I was in the same situation one month ago with my k-x.
I tried the air method and it worked for some particles, but no for others. Then I tried the cotton swab with the cleaning solution and managed to get rid of most of them. However there was one that was still there. I sent my camera to Pentax and they changed the sensor for free since the camera was under warranty. I guess it was some kind of stain that got there in the production since it was there since the first pictures I took. Nevertheless first try the air method....I guess if you post a couple of pictures people will be able to give you more details.

Ah...and the camera has to be on if I am not mistaken
05-31-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Here's a picture of the bugs. I noticed while preparing this, that one of the pieces was a different color (a lighter brown). I looked at the open apeture pics of the same envelop
Attached Images

05-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the double pi! I don't know how to get rid of it!

05-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get a Giotto rocket blower and use that before doing any other treatment. Turn off the camera when changing lenses.
06-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here you go...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

06-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your responses!
Jake