Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 05:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I really don't care, I will use whatever aperture I have to so I get the image I want. I have taken portraits at f/0.95 to f/64 - there isn't any hard-and-fast rule about aperture/subject relationships.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
There is a rough division: Thin DOF is for art. Thick DOF is for sales
interesting way of seeing things.

06-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Shocked and a bit saddened...

I'm a bit shocked and saddened that no one has recommended the following book:

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

It makes me think that not many people here, or on this thread at least, have read it.

Peterson gives a great discussion about aperture and selecting the best aperture for the kind of exposure/print/shot you're attempting. Invaluable resource! Shame on all y'all for not suggesting it. Of course I'm kidding, a bit, about the shame part. I really was surprised no one recommended this essential book.

The answer "I go by feel" isn't much of an answer at all, particularly when answering a novice's question. Read this book: Thank me later.
06-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Pentaxians, did we forget that every lens has its best Aperture setting. And I think some DSLRs allow you to set your camera for this - is it called MTF or something? At this aperture or a an aperture range, the lens gives its best shot.
A Google search might help bring out this concept.
Enjoy your lens.
06-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We didn't forget - I mentioned this idea in my reply - but it's way less important in most situations than choosing the DOF you want or getting the shutter speed you need.

06-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Marc, you are my hero on this and some other forums too. I value and read all your photographic articles and contributions. Please accept my humble compliments.
You might have read this one about the DA 18-55 ALII Kit vs the DA* 16-50 f2.8:- The surprise is that at smaller apertures like f8 to f16 the kit lens comes pretty damn close to the DA* 16-50 in terms of sharpness. In fact the 18-55 AL II was noticeably sharper than the 16-50 at 28mm. Set to 18mm at f4.0 the DA* 16-50 clearly beats the kit lens.
06-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Wow, that's some compliment - thanks!

I don't think I saw the test you refer to, but it doesn't surprise me - the 18-55 is better than most people give it credit for, particularly at the middle of its range and stopped down (eg, typical landscape use).
06-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I managed to get a Highly Commended Art ribbon with the 18-55 kit lens, it certainly is under-rated.

Thanks for the tip about the aperture sizes working best with certain lens, will have to google.

I have read understanding exposure and it was very helpful. I just felt I was over-using certain apertures lol
06-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I managed to get a Highly Commended Art ribbon with the 18-55 kit lens, it certainly is under-rated.

Thanks for the tip about the aperture sizes working best with certain lens, will have to google.
There are a number of review sites where you can find decent information about lenses (only the ones they have tested of course) - dpreview.com is one, lenstip.com is another and I am sure there are more. dpreview.com happens to have a rather nice (IMHO) interactive presentation.