Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Senior Member
slr_neophyte's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Suzhou China
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 134
Did I just scratch my VF screen?

Ooops....there were some annoying particles whenever I looked through my viewfinder. I tried blowing it...nothing changed. So, I took a Q-tip and rubbed it around on the viewfinder screen. Now, when I look through it, it appears worse - possible scratched. I did read somewhere that this is an extremely delicate piece....but a Q-tip, scratching it?? Let me know if this is probably what happened. Fortunately my photos are unaffected...too bad my view isn't as clean as it was when it was new though.

05-31-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
Ooops....there were some annoying particles whenever I looked through my viewfinder. I tried blowing it...nothing changed. So, I took a Q-tip and rubbed it around on the viewfinder screen. Now, when I look through it, it appears worse - possible scratched. I did read somewhere that this is an extremely delicate piece....but a Q-tip, scratching it?? Let me know if this is probably what happened. Fortunately my photos are unaffected...too bad my view isn't as clean as it was when it was new though.
Are you describing the Viewfinder or Focusing Screen (I think Focusing Screen)? If you tried to blow it out and nothing improved, the dirt is most likely inside the Prism, above the Focusing Screen. To get that out, you would need to lower the Screen and blow carefully*.

*I did at one time lower the focusing screen to clean out dust and debris, my enthusiastic effort, not only removed much of the dust, etc. but I managed to blow the screen out of camera and onto my carpeted floor. With nothing to lose, I just picked it up and cleaned it with lens cleaner on a micro fiber cloth and reinstalled. Looked cleaner and works nicely. Not as delicate as one would think or I was just lucky...
05-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
Can't tell you for sure if your focus screen is scratched or not but I can tell you that I have treated my screen much harsher without leaving any scratches. A while back I got really annoyed at some particles on my focus screen so I went as far as to remove the entire screen and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth (I also did the Q-tip swab before the entire removal) and my screen has no scratches on it. There's a chance that what you are seeing is a fiber from the Q-tip itself. Try a rocket blower.
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
slr_neophyte's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Suzhou China
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 134
Original Poster
Yes I believe it is the focus screen I am talking about. When you remove the lens, it is the screen that is on the top portion of the body. It is very possible that what I'm seeing is a fiber from the Qtip itself, BUT...I am afraid to do anything else in case I did scratch it and I don't want more scratches. With regard to "dirt being inside the prism itself...how do I remove this screen, or lower it so that I can blow into that area?

06-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Innsbruck
Posts: 283
maybe the partical you saw was very solid and when you used the q.tip you just scratched it ?
06-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
slr_neophyte's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Suzhou China
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
maybe the partical you saw was very solid and when you used the q.tip you just scratched it ?
Again..another possibility. However the particles have remained stationary. Qtip, blower - did nothing to move them.
06-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
Yes I believe it is the focus screen I am talking about. When you remove the lens, it is the screen that is on the top portion of the body. It is very possible that what I'm seeing is a fiber from the Qtip itself, BUT...I am afraid to do anything else in case I did scratch it and I don't want more scratches. With regard to "dirt being inside the prism itself...how do I remove this screen, or lower it so that I can blow into that area?
Try this link and go to installation section... just lower the screen though... you'll need some touch

Also, I have found turning the camera completely upside down to release screen and then slowly turn it on it's back.

Be prepared!

KatzEye Focusing Screen for the Pentax K100D, K110D, K100D Super, K200D, K-x, and K-r
06-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
slr_neophyte's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Suzhou China
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 134
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Try this link and go to installation section... just lower the screen though... you'll need some touch

Also, I have found turning the camera completely upside down to release screen and then slowly turn it on it's back.

Be prepared!

KatzEye Focusing Screen for the Pentax K100D, K110D, K100D Super, K200D, K-x, and K-r
Thanks!! I got it removed...god! - very small parts and easy to move into places you don't want them to move to. Anyway...I removed it and blew it out, put it back together...it's not perfect, but the view through the viewfinder is a little cleaner now.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, pentax help, photography, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What causes flim to scratch with straight line (x2) hinman Pentax Film SLR Discussion 10 09-17-2010 07:48 PM
Can photography be learned from scratch? future_retro Photographic Technique 52 08-08-2010 10:47 AM
Red Scratch marks? BlueEyes Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 11-29-2009 06:33 PM
Mid-air head scratch pingflood Post Your Photos! 15 09-13-2009 06:21 PM
Walk Around Lens, Starting from Scratch Biff Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 07-06-2009 03:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top