Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Oh god! Now what?

This quoted from another topic, but I wasn't getting any replies there so I'm sorry for having to post this here. I purchased two manual lenses for my K-x (a Phenix 50mm F1.7, and the other a Phenix 70-210mm). Both are k-mounts and both fit. The 50mm lens works fine - no problems. The telephoto lens however has got serious issues, and I'm not really sure what the problem is. I have followed all the directions with setting it up, and have tried some of the suggestions found elsewhere in other topics at this site. To my dismay however, whenever I use the 210mm lens, it takes one or two photos okay, and then the shutter seems to get stuck. I don't have catch-in-focus enabled, I am only using M or AV mode, I have my focus mode set to C (continuous), the focus switch is set to manual. I really am at a loss here.

See photos of the lens and mount at this thread (last page):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...dslrs-f-4.html

Originally posted by Lowell Goudge

"change the AF focus switch from S (Single) to C (Continuous) or M(Manual) In single the camera will not continually search and adjust focus, but if the subject moves out of focus, the shutter will not trip. This will serve as a good training for your focusing skills, but usually your aperture setting is good enough to gaurantee acceptably sharp photos even if you are off a little, and a slightly less sharp photo is much much better than none at all"

So, I came home and tried it - switching into the different focus modes does NOT solve the problem. I can take a few shots successfully (sometimes just one), and then the shutter seems to get stuck and will not snap a photo. I've even had it get stuck to the point that with any button I press, or dial I turn on my camera - it creates a shutter noise. Either something is really wrong with this mount, or .....(not sure how to finish that thought). Attached are some photos of the lens/mount for any who may be able to give me some advice on this. I really have followed all the directions in setting up my camera to work with manual lenses. The other lens I purchased from the same shop (50mm F1.7) works fine - no problems. Both mounts to me look identical. The only major difference I see is that with the 70mm-210mm lens - the aperture lever does stick out quite a long way. Talking with the shop is a little pointless since they are Chinese. My wife (Chinese) has been trying to help me, but it hasn't been too successful.

05-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is the green hexagon lit up in the viewfinder when you are unable to shoot? It's possible you just have the camera set so it won't shoot unless you're in focus.
05-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
uhmmmm going from memory now because I'm at work, but I don't recall seeing it lit up in the viewfinder - so I'm going to go with, NO.
05-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
And I'm quite certain all the settings have been set to allow shooting regardless of whether the image is in focus or not. As mentioned above - focus mode is set to C, the switch is set to manual, catch-in-focus is NOT enabled.

06-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Can't see the shots of the lens or mount so those might help.
As soon as you mention 70-210 I'm reminded of my old Sigma 70-210 which has a flange that extends a bit too far to even fit a k-r. The pin also looks too long but apparently with the flange cut down it will work. Post a shot of the lens and the mount. I'm wondering if there might be some interference there causing the problem.
06-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
The photos of the lens mounts are in another topic (they are there on the last page - I believe it's page 4) here --> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...dslrs-f-4.html

I can't repost them here because I get an error from the forum stating that I already posted them into a different post here. Hope you are able to find them there. Thanks Bill.
06-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
The photos of the lens mounts are in another topic (they are there on the last page - I believe it's page 4) here --> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...dslrs-f-4.html

I can't repost them here because I get an error from the forum stating that I already posted them into a different post here. Hope you are able to find them there. Thanks Bill.
Flange looks too big to me but I'm probably paranoid because of the issue I had with the Sigma's - both a 28 and 70-210.
Is there any other camera you can test it on? It might work with an earlier model but at least you'll see if the lens is faulty or not.
Is the lens really worth it? If you can return it then I would. Consider that you can get other cheap newer but still used lenses around the same focal length. Just check out the lens reviews here before you buy. The brand isn't well known and that might or might not mean it is a "good" lens.
This is the mod I'd need to do on the Sigma 70-210 and 28 if I end up using them(have replaced the 70-210, no need for the 28 yet): Old manual Sigma lens "for K mount" won't fit on K100d - Photo.net Pentax Forum
I'm speculating you have a similar issue. Your lens actually fits whereas mine didn't but there *might* be some interference. I wouldn't use if for now anyway.

06-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Bill. I am going to be sending it back. I've read about other users picking up these Phenix lenses (they are an optics company particular to China and all their lenses are K-mount. The quality is fairly decent). Apparently other users haven't had any issues with them. The shop owner was surprised I was having problems. I do indeed think there was some sort of interference being caused, but unsure as to what. Anyway, that settles it. I've got my eye on a Takamur A Zoom 70-200 F4 K-A mount for under $40 on ebay that looks pretty decent. At least with that I think I'm guaranteed a better fit. Thanks for taking a look though - I was very curious what was up.
06-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In looking back over the posts and the last thread as well, I have one other thing to try, maybe.

can you clean the lens mount with alcohol, and also when it "gets stuck" can you see if slight movement of the lens on the camera mount (there will be a little play in the locking pin) makes it work.

I am thinking you are not getting contact on the data pin. (furthest from th elens locking pin) Some cameras need to have this grounded to the lens mount to fire the shutter.

I have had this experience with my K7 and black painted K mount extension tubes.
06-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
I do indeed think there was some sort of interference being caused, but unsure as to what..
Finding particles inside, as you've mentioned in another thread, gives another indication that might be the case.
There has been a few of these Takumar 70-200's come up in the Marketplace but shipping will drive them up for you.