Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D AF not locking

My K10D had developed an issue with its auto focus. It has a very difficult time locking focus even in very good light with a high contrast subject. Its getting close to the focus fine, so If I shoot in continuous AF mode, the focus is "okay" most of the time. Its worst when I use the center AF target. Less issues when left in auto mode. Anyone experience something similar? Is it just something I need to clean in the camera, or is it something I'm going to have to send it in for service on?

06-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You DO know that Continuous AF (AF-C) will take a photo Regardless of actual focus, don't you? If you want the camera to only take a photo with focus confirmation you must use AF-S.

Or am I misunderstanding your issue?

06-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You DO know that Continuous AF (AF-C) will take a photo Regardless of actual focus, don't you? If you want the camera to only take a photo with focus confirmation you must use AF-S.

Or am I misunderstanding your issue?

I understand that. It won't lock in AF-S mode. I've been using af-c mode to avoid the problem.
06-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got it. I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help. The only time I've ever had trouble locking focus is with a real slow lens or if there was no contrast at all in the AF area. I've always used Center AF for that purpose. Have you tried another focus point? Perhaps one off to the side?