Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
broken pentax!! :(

I was getting my camera ready for a newborn shoot next week and notice that when i snap a picture half of it comes out like a black smudge. i switched lenses and same thing. so i took off the lens to look inside the body of my pentax and the little mirror under the othe other mirror is completly broke! are these expensive to fix? has anyone had this happen before?

06-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If it is the K10d you have listed in your profile, a broken sensor is probably going to cost as much or more than simply replacing it unfortunately. I might even be cost prohibitive to simply check. I am sure someone here will know how much it costs!
06-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think generally speaking, any DSLR repair is going to cost a minimum of $200. Something like a replacement mirror (assuming nothing else is wrong) might not be too much more than that. A new sensor would certainly be outside of being cost effective. At this point, a used K10D sells for less than $250, so I'm afraid it would most likely not be worthwhile to try and have it fixed.
06-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

See if you can hook the sub-mirror back carefully. Sometimes they just unhook themselves.

06-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
See if you can hook the sub-mirror back carefully. Sometimes they just unhook themselves.
Did it unhook or is it physically broken? I got the impression from the OP that it was actually broken and at a minimum would need a new mirror.
06-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxgrl Quote
I was getting my camera ready for a newborn shoot next week and notice that when i snap a picture half of it comes out like a black smudge. i switched lenses and same thing. so i took off the lens to look inside the body of my pentax and the little mirror under the othe other mirror is completly broke! are these expensive to fix? has anyone had this happen before?
I don't have a k10d, but what is the "mirror under the other mirror"? If you have another camera could you post a photo?

Paul
06-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not clear - it could be the mirror or the sensor that is broken, and by broken it could be smashed, cracked or just out of place.

How would this have happened, other than someone getting in there with a sharp object while there was no lens mounted?

Sounds like you may need a replacement - you'll find a K20D going for a very affordable price nowadays.

06-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Why would a broken mirror affect the captured image? Maybe it's not moving from in front of the sensor when the image is taken? If the mirror is broken you should be able to see the effect of that through the viewfinder.
06-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

"and the little mirror under the othe other mirror is completly broke! are these expensive to fix? has anyone had this happen before?"

Not as such, no, not in some thirty years, but if there is a mirror 'broke' you have managed to exceed the deceleration-tolerance of your camera body and it will need fixing or replacing.

Seven years' bad luck are extra out-of warranty service, but it would appear you have broken something.

In the photography business, in general, if we can look at an optical element or mirror and describe it as 'broke,' this probably means someone broke it. Probably in some kind of 'breaking things' motion (see 'deceleration) .

Basically, if you look inside your camera and see broken glass of any sort,this refers to a condition that in the business we like to call 'You broke your camera.' This is usually considered, in technical terms, 'bad.' Do not do this.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-03-2011 at 08:12 PM.
06-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I don't have a k10d, but what is the "mirror under the other mirror"? If you have another camera could you post a photo?

Paul
Some of the light goes through the main mirror and is reflected down by a hinged sub-mirror to the AF module at the bottom of the body.
06-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #11

Original Poster
looking into the camera body you first see a mirror you gently lift that up and you see another small mirror. I tried to gently put it back in its place but it will not work. I have never messed with it to break it. i do have small children and the thought has run through my mind but when i got it out the lens was still attatched properly and I don't think they could take the lens off and back on properly... but on the other hand a few years ago i went to get my external flash and i took it out of it case and the glass on the flash was mysteriously shattered. i assumed one of my kids got in to it.. i need a lock safe for my camera. i have about $4,000 invested into it over the past 5 yrs. it is the sensor that is broke. i have never tried to clean it my self of the fear i might break something, i've always took it in once a year to have it cleaned and checked out..
06-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #12

Original Poster
i think i'll just buy a new body for it. and a lock safe for it as well..
06-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxgrl Quote
i think i'll just buy a new body for it. and a lock safe for it as well..
Kids... Yea keep the camera locked in a closet or something. Kids are very curious, and don't know they will break something throwing it. Hope you find a great camera
06-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #14

I dont think it is the Sensor, but on a K10d i think it is much more usefull to buy a "new" used K20D or K7 especially with all your invested money.
06-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
I just got the K5! im inlove!! my problem is solved..