Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Reversal Ring

The 52 mm original Pentax lens reversal adapter does not rotate fully into the Makinon macro extension tube and hence does not lock into position. Photos of both are shown below. Please note the positions of the round pin in the lens reversal adapter and the flat pin in the macro extension tube - around 7' o clock.
The Pentax AL II kit lens mates perfectly with the Makinon macro extensin tube.
The round pin cannot move as it is fixed in the adapter body. I have a feeling the flat pin cannot move past the round pin and hence the locking pin in the Makinon cannot mate with the slot in the Pentax adapter.
Now I am afraid to mount the Pentax adapter in the K20D or the Makinon macro tube lest they damage the more expensive camera.
Request help as many of my Pentaxian friends will be owning these accessories.
Note: I noticed a similar round pin recessed inside the mount slot of the Kit Lens. I tried moving this pin with a strong wooden tooth pick, but the pin would not budge. I wonder what this pin is for? The flat pin on the lens moves the aperture.

Last edited by nanhi; 06-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.
06-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

It possibly has more to do with the tube design than the adapter ring since it's a Pentax ring. It should go on your camera ok (all Pentax genuine are supposed to fit) but I understand your reluctance to try.
How old is the ring and how old are the tubes?
My very old adapter ring is slightly different to yours. It has that fixed pin you refer to but it doesn't seem to protrude as much as yours does. Mine also doesn't have those protrusions inside the black internal thread. I'm guessing the ring I have might fit your tube by the shape of the aperture ring on the tube with that extra bit on the side (the recessed bit to the left of the protruding pin). That bit might be what can't get over the pin in the ring.
3rd party tubes can be odd since they might slightly vary in specification. They were in tolerance for the specification at the time but some don't fully accommodate newer specs whereas the Pentax items are supposedly guaranteed to be compatible over the whole range. With my 3rd party rings the reverse adapter and older M and A lenses fit ok but the DA lenses will fit only one of 3 rings.
06-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Bill. I have attached some more photos. The Makinon macro tube is very well made - Japanese. Even their lenses are pretty good. These are as old as my K1000 & ME Super. Those protrusions inside the black internal thread you refer to are the screws holding the two pieces of the Pentax Reverse Adapter - see photo - the black 52 mm threaded part mates inside the chromed outer ring with the Bayonet. I can remove the protruding threads and file them down, but they do not foul with anything. Request please post a photo of your Pentax ring with a brief on the differences with mine.
I will try mount the Pentax ring and the Makinon to my K20D once I have a little more info from you. I used it with my SLRs so should be OK as you said. I also mentioned in my post that I mated the DA lens with the Makinon macro tube - it was perfect.

Last edited by nanhi; 06-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.