Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

lithium battery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a Pentax X90 which uses a D-L1106 Lithium Battery. I lost the charger that came with the camera and was not able to find a new one at any of my local stores. I purchased a charger from radio shack which appeared to work, at least the first time I used it.

However yesterday I got a "battery depleted" on my camera. After trying to charge the battery overnight, it still registered "battery depleted". Could this be the fault of the off brand charger or do I really need a new lithium battery?

The camera and battery are less than a year old.

06-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless it's a special charger for li-ion batteries it won't work, and might even end up damaging the battery. You should get the original charger: 39868 Pentax K-BC106 Battery Charger Kit for D-LI106 Battery

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've looked online everywhere including the site you mention and all of them claim that this charger is unavailable. That is why I bought the other charger. Any other suggestions?
06-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm not sure what the voltage of your particlar battery is, but a charger like this should work: Amazon.com: Universal Smart Charger for Li-Ion and Polymer battery Pack (3.7V - 14.8V, 1-4 cells): Toys & Games

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
D-L1106
3.6V min.1250mAh 4.5Wh
06-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #6

The smart charger is a nice item to have if you have many different Li-ion powered devices and don't mind making adapters to fit the contact scheme for camera and phone batteries. I use one for my custom Li-ion powered flashlights and e-cigs.

The non-OEM charger for the D-L1109 is available from 3rd party sources for $20 or less. Shipping will probably be from China and take longer than a US source. A Google or Yahoo search will turn up a few sources.

I would suspect the battery may need to be replaced as Li-ion cells don't always recover from a total discharge. They have a built-in protection circuit to prevent this but if left uncharged will self discharge past the point of return (sometimes).

Sorry, but aftermarket batteries and a charger may be your best bet here. The Smart charger would be absolutely necessary for a battery like this:
Attached Images

Last edited by Rocketvapor; 06-04-2011 at 07:07 AM.
07-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hé je suis à la recherche d'un chargeur de batterie au lithium qui doit avoir prise anglaise avec elle, je suis régulièrement chargé mes batteries à des fins domestiques nombreuses de sorte qu'il devrait être durable aussi.

07-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is one.
Battery + Charger for Pentax D-LI106 DLI106 D-L1106 | eBay
11-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I wouldn't mess around with a non-lithium or a li-po charger for li-ion. These batteries are much safer than they've ever been, and they were pretty safe to start with. About the only time they're likely to cause problems is when they're charged incorrectly with an incompatible charger. And when they cause problems, they're bad ones - lithium is highly reactive and goes up a little like thermite. I used to fly electric r/c planes and helis until a year or so ago (funnily enough the same time I got my kx...) and saw a few guys on a forum I used to go on who burnt their houses down/cars out by abusing their batteries when charging them. They also tend to turn nasty if shorted or punctured, but both of these are unlikely with camera batteries to say the least.

I'm really not trying to cause any worry, as I said lithium batteries are very safe unless punctured, mis-charged or otherwise severely messed around with, but using the wrong type of charger does constitute messing them around and does carry some risk. Oh, and if your battery has swollen or split you should seriously think about replacing it.