Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #1

Pentax K-X Trouble with saving images. Please help!

Hello,

I recently purchased a Pentax K-X camera, put in my memory card and began toying with it. When I take a picture, the image saves as a blank image. That is to say, when I review it either on the LCD screen or my PC, the image is black. Do I need a fresh, new card, or is there a setting I need to change? Please help. Thanks!

P.S. I searched the forums for this issue but could not find anything.

06-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.

First, let's establish that you are taking the picture you think you are. Are you sure it isn't just Way under exposed? That is, you look at the screen after taking a photo, you see your picture? Then it gets saved to the card differently than you saw? Or do you never see a photo because it's Always black?

06-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. The camera is an AUTO fcnction (I am new to SLR), factory default setting, etc. I took the SD card from my old Nikon point & shoot (which still has images on it) and put it in the KX.

1) When I shoot a pic, it doesn't automatically display on the LCD screen.
2) When I got to review the pic, it is just a black screen with the image number on the bottom right hand corner. As I scroll through all the images on the card, the ones from my previous camera all show just fine, but the new ones taken with the KX are all just black.
06-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
P.S. I also noticed in the forums about updating the firmware. I have not yet done that. Want to make sure about this point before I purchase another SD card.

06-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens cap off? Perhaps you could try posting one of the images, with Exif intact - maybe we'd get a clue from that.
06-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
Lens cap off. Pardon my ignorance, but I have no idea what "Exif" means
06-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd suggest taking the images off the card, (copy them to a computer), put the SD card into your K-x and formatting it (it's in the menu), then try again. Might be the Nikon file(s) on the SD card are the issue.

As to 'exif', in simple terms it's data the camera associates with each image giving all sorts of information about the camera settings, etc, associated with that image.

Download 'Photome' and use it to view images; it'll show the exif data as well for each image. Probably not worth messing about with at the moment though; let's just get your camera goiing

Last edited by JohnX; 06-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.
06-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
I'm going to try that! I will keep you updated!

06-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Hy, I had a problem like that, but on my camera only the first photo was black. (somethimes first and second). This was hapened when I brought the camera. If you read carefully, there is another topic opened on this problem. On my camera, and some others, this problem has gone after a time. In fact is a underexposed photo ( almost black). I must say a have updated the firmware ( then the problem dessapeared). My advise... ungrade, keep shooting.
When I had this problem I discovered that when I change to LiveView and took a photo and back to viewfinder and shoot again, the problem was gone.
But this worked on that kind of problem ( the first one or 2 photos black). Now all problems are gone. My camera works perfect (I just upgraded again to 1.02).
P.s. Sorry for english (I'm from Romania).
06-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ok, so I got a new memory card and it seems that indeed the images were just severely underdeveloped. That is why they came out black. I am new to SLR's but drawing on my barley remembered time in photography class in high school, I adjusted the ISO to its highest and found that the images would appear. I guess this would be standard for point and shoot type cameras. Does anyone know of a good guide to help relearn the function of ISO, etc?
06-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not used a KX at all but general rule of thumb:

For general shoot in normal daylight conditions keep ISO between 100 and 400.

To put it very simply for you the darker the conditions you are shooting in, the higher number ISO you will use.

Hand holding camera in dark conditions requires fairly fast speed ( about 1/60th and faster perhaps).
In order to keep the speed at a practical level you open up your lens (F4 F2.8 etc)
or you can raise the ISO.

Higher ISO numbers tend to effect the noise in the picture. (noise = slight snowy effect.)
I have tried to keep this as simply explained as possible. Go ahead experiment, and play around with it, I am sure you will soon pick it up.( Also read the manual on the subject.)

Hope this helps you a little.
06-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by endosciety Quote
Thanks for the reply. The camera is an AUTO fcnction (I am new to SLR), factory default setting, etc. I took the SD card from my old Nikon point & shoot (which still has images on it) and put it in the KX.

1) When I shoot a pic, it doesn't automatically display on the LCD screen.
2) When I got to review the pic, it is just a black screen with the image number on the bottom right hand corner. As I scroll through all the images on the card, the ones from my previous camera all show just fine, but the new ones taken with the KX are all just black.

Something is wrong. Find "Reset" in the menus and click it to take the camera back to the factory settings. If it still doesn't expose properly in auto mode outside in daylight it should be exchanged or repaired.
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Can you share f/stop, shutter speed and ISO from one of the picture shot in daylight?
06-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If you are truly in Auto, then changing ISO should have no effect on exposure - the camera would simply change shutter speed or aperture to compensate. In fact, I'm not sure you even *can* change ISO in Auto mode. Are you *sure* you're in Auto mode? Not AF mode, which is set with a switch on the front, but Auto *exposure*, which is set with the round mode dial on top of the camera.

Again, posting an actual image with Exif would help.
06-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Does anyone know of a good guide to help relearn the function of ISO, etc?
The most basic photo book, even the manual, will cover ISO, shutter and aperture. Google is cheaper.