Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Software installs then does nothing

I installed the Digital Camera Utility 4 that came with the K5 and it worked OK. However, due to me not being familiar with the software I got in a right muddle (or there was a problem with the software) so I thought I'd reinstall and start from scratch. Have done this but now the programme won't run and I get the message -

'Runtime error

Abnormal programme termination.'

I have also tried opening the RAW files from the K5 in Pentax Photo Laboratory but there the message is 'Failed to preview'

The jpegs of the same shots display fine in Photoshop etc.

Any ideas?

06-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would need to see more information to give you a "why" but suggest you uninstall the package, reboot, install again if you have not already. If a clean install does not run as it did the first time, something has changed in your environment and you will need to think about what that might be. (other new software? new hardware? broken uninstall?, etc). See if newer versions or updates are available online to use instead of or to patch the current version. Good luck
06-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try and do a "All files and Folders" search in your system for this file - checkinfo.ini
It will be in a Pentax folder. If you find it you can either rename or delete it.
Hope this helps! Cheers!
06-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Agreed. If Uninstall does not remove the .ini file.
On Win7 its located in C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/Pentax/Digital Camera Utility 4/

06-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If that doesn't work for you there are always other programs. The undeniable truth, in my experience, is that the PDCU software has always crashed if it started to begin with. That's been true with 4 different versions on 3 different computers running various versions of windows.

06-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Many thanks for the fix. I've removed the checkinfo file and it's now working well enough to process a jpeg from the RAW (better image quality than the in camera one) but I can't use the White balance, Lens correction etc functions as the software thinks that all the files are jpegs and won't allow the appropriate boxes to be ticked under the 'Windows' header on the menu.

I am now hopefully out of trouble sufficiently to get the present job done but I'll need to look at it again soon.
06-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #7

Thanks for this information, all. I've had the same problems with this software since I got my K-x a year ago and tried everything I could think of - uninstall, reboot, registry clean etc. I've now renamed the checkinfo.ini file and all is well!

Thanks guys

06-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If the check-box is clicked on any of the thumbnail photos and leave it there, the “checkinfo.ini” file is created in the DCU4 folder as the application is closed. If this file is either renamed or deleted for the “fix”, a new one will be created and will cause the same problem.

To prevent the issue from reoccurring, make sure there are no checks in any of the thumbnail photos before closing the program.
06-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
Many thanks for the fix. I've removed the checkinfo file and it's now working well enough to process a jpeg from the RAW (better image quality than the in camera one) but I can't use the White balance, Lens correction etc functions as the software thinks that all the files are jpegs and won't allow the appropriate boxes to be ticked under the 'Windows' header on the menu.

I am now hopefully out of trouble sufficiently to get the present job done but I'll need to look at it again soon.
Have you installed the latest update? That might be enough to get it fully workimg again.
The latest update also allows processing of jpeg if it recognises them as being shot with a supported Pentax camera. The problem can be if they are imported with the Windows photo import then they aren't recognised (Import with Windows Live Photo Gallery or PDCU itself and they are ok). I don't know if that might affect RAW files as well.
If all else fails, backup what might be lost to My documents folder or sub-folder and roll back and start again.
I actually quite like PDCU4 because it is dedicated to Pentax and ... free. It was problematic for me for a while until it decided to behave and I've had no crashes from it since (running on Windows 7 64 bit).
The beta of PhotoDirector recognises Pentax RAW files and is ok: PhotoDirector 2011 Beta Version ? Professional Quality Photo Editing Software
Download the beta, review it and the released version is free.
06-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
If the check-box is clicked on any of the thumbnail photos and leave it there, the “checkinfo.ini” file is created in the DCU4 folder as the application is closed. If this file is either renamed or deleted for the “fix”, a new one will be created and will cause the same problem.

To prevent the issue from reoccurring, make sure there are no checks in any of the thumbnail photos before closing the program.

Just found this out the hard way! What a brilliant piece of software design! Thanks for the tip.
06-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Many thanks for the help folks but this is proving a tough nut to crack.

I have now cleared out, rebooted and installed the software several times and still the problem of not being able to tick any of the boxes in the 'windows' menu for RAW files persists! I have also downloaded and installed the latest update.

This really is the most uncooperative piece of software that I have come across, or is it me?