Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I wouldn't put too much stock in the PF database when it comes to pricing. Especially if you're looking at the Average price. That price is typically on the bottom of the scale, ebay is about in the middle (for most things), and resellers such as KEH always seem high to me. The PF marketplace is a good place to look. If there's something specific, post a wanted ad there, name a price, and see if you get any bites.

Even on ebay, bargains can be had but you have to be looking at the right time. If you have to Bid to win (not buy it now), Never put in an early bid. That's just plain dumb strategy because it gives other bidders something to chip away at. Use a sniper program or learn to do it manually (put in a bid seconds before the auction ends).

KEH does have a 60d warranty on the used gear they sell and a good return policy and a conservative rating. Sometimes you can get a good price sometimes not.

06-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I stop in every single pawn shop I see, I go to flee markets(my wife has a very good eye for camera equipment, she usually spots them before I do) I stop at every garage sale I see.........you just never know, you just need to be vigilant and you will be rewarded sooner or later.
The key is knowing what you are looking for and the price that the items are worth.
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I know for absolute sure I can be there when the auction ends, then indeed, no point in the early bid. I'd say that happens less than 10% of the time for me.
06-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If I know for absolute sure I can be there when the auction ends, then indeed, no point in the early bid. I'd say that happens less than 10% of the time for me.
You can be with an eBay app for your phone.

06-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That assumes I have 24 hour data access, which I don't. Also assumes I want to get out of bed at 3 AM or whenever the auction ends. Yes, of course, these are not insurmountable hurdles. The point is, often, my interest level is not sufficient to go that extra mile. That's where the initial bid comes in handy. Got a couple of my favorite lenses that way: my M120/2.8 and M100/2.8.
06-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
KEH does have a 60d warranty on the used gear they sell and a good return policy and a conservative rating. Sometimes you can get a good price sometimes not.
I'm not knocking KEH (or the rest). Just saying the prices seem high to me at times. Even the resellers though, you still have to somewhat babysit if you want to get the good deals.

Then again, a lot of the private sellers think quite highly of their wares as well.

06-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That assumes I have 24 hour data access, which I don't. Also assumes I want to get out of bed at 3 AM or whenever the auction ends...
I was just telling someone how great it was to use eBay and live in Hawai'i, because everyone else would skip the 3am auctions, but in Hawai'i it would be only like 11pm. They said, "Seriously, that's why you liked Hawai'i, for eBay?" (Well, not the only reason of course.)

The comments on sniping remind me of a message I got once. I had a lens for sale, hoping to get about $100. Someone asked if I would accept their bid for $40 and end the auction 3 days early, because they were tired of losing auctions to the terrible snipers. I said no, and I was hoping to attract snipers! They didn't see my side of the story.