Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 03:48 AM   #1

off camera flash

Hi
I have a Pentax Kx DSLR and a Toshiba flash unit.
The flash is about 30 years old and still works.I have read that older flash units may damage the circuits in the camera.
The flash uses a bracket to sit along side the camera and a pc cable connects to a hot shoe adaptor to allow the camera to fire the flash

I have tested the camera/flash a few times with no problems. How can I find out if the flash will damage the camera if I continue to use it?

Hope you can help

Thanks

Warren

06-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the flash's trigger voltage rating.
The most comprehensive source for this information is here: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
06-06-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If the site Ash pointed you to doesn't have your flash listed, buy a digital multimeter (they're pretty cheap, I bought one for around $7) and check the trigger voltage. It's fast and easy to do.

Actually, even if your flash is listed, it's not a bad idea to check your unit yourself.
06-06-2011, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's high voltage, you can consider using a wireless trigger. Something cheap like the Cactus V5 might be good enough if you always have your flash on a bracket.

06-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
what is Kx flash trigger rating?

Thanks to all who have relied.

Having read the replies can anyone tell me what the trigger rating is for the Kx?
I have sent an email to Pentax but as yet no reply

Hopefully in the next day or so I will try to check the flash to see what is is
06-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wazzau Quote
Thanks to all who have relied.

Having read the replies can anyone tell me what the trigger rating is for the Kx?
I have sent an email to Pentax but as yet no reply

Hopefully in the next day or so I will try to check the flash to see what is is
It is difficult to get Pentax to answer this question. I've read that all Pentax brand flashes are safe and they all have pretty low voltages.

In your case, you need a connector to go from the camera hotshoe to the PC cable you have. You can buy a connector that also keeps the voltage at the camera down to a safe level. That solves both problems.
06-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

get a safesync hotshoe adaptor or use cheap wireless triggers... sorted... safe...