Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #1

Pentax K-x gets stuck

This is a new Pentax K-x that I bought from woot couple of months back. I encountered a weird problem. I was shooting with my kit lens and when I shoot at 55mm f5.6, the shutter would trigger but it would just stay that way for over 5 seconds and no image gets taken. This is in Av mode and shutter is set at 1/500.

I am able to take shots at 18mm f 3.5 though. The behavior seems to be very erratic. My trip to North Carolina went for a toss but I would be more than glad to have this issue fixed.

Also if it's a real problem with the camera, how does Pentax Warranty work? Please help.

06-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
check lens and body electric contacts
and clean them with soft cloth if they look dirty.

try fresh batteries,
my k-m behaves similar way with bad batteries.
06-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
My batteries are fresh and fully charged. I cleaned the contacts on my lens and tried once again and it seems to be working good. I'll try shooting more and see how it behaves. Thanks so much for your response Osmo. I really appreciate that.
06-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Dont take this the wrong way as it has happened to me.....

Check the timer settings. Sometimes (maybe the way I hold it or some such) I have accidently put it on a delay and it has really confused the heck out of me.

I will kick myself change the settings and be on my way only to have it happen again (a few months down the road) and forget taking 5 mins to try and figure it out.....

06-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

OP is able to shoot at 18mm so this does not seems like a timer problem.

Do you have any other lens to isolate the problem ?
06-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
It was my bad. It was the other way round though. I was able to shoot at 55mm but not at 18mm. I also tried removing the lens and placed it in continuous shooting mode and noticed that it was getting stuck. But when I tried shooting it when the lens after cleaning the contacts it started working good. I guess I'll wait for a few more weeks and see how it acts before I decide to send it to Pentax.

I also tried a 135mm prime lens on the camera and was able to shoot without any issues.
09-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #7

Hi, I've a similar problem with my k-x and KM lenses (aperture set by aperture ring): the camera works fine in Av, but as I try to shoot in M mode the mirror stucks up for 3-4 sec and no image is recorded. This happens also if i try to shoot in M without the lens on.
The camera works fine with KA and DA lenses even in M mode.

Contacts are clean, firmware is updated (1.02) and batt are brand new energizer lithium
09-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 512 Quote
Hi, I've a similar problem with my k-x and KM lenses (aperture set by aperture ring): the camera works fine in Av, but as I try to shoot in M mode the mirror stucks up for 3-4 sec and no image is recorded. This happens also if i try to shoot in M without the lens on.
The camera works fine with KA and DA lenses even in M mode.

Contacts are clean, firmware is updated (1.02) and batt are brand new energizer lithium
A thought - make sure the shutter speed is not set to 5 seconds or similar value when you are in M mode. The camera will remember the settings you last used in each mode, including the shutter speed. No image will appear if your image is exposed for a huge amount of time - everything will be white. I hope for you that this is the cause.

09-02-2011, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #9

after few other tests I find out that is caused by a failure of the aperture actuator on the camera body (on the left of the mirror).
I have to send it to assistance and hope it won't take too much. Fortunately it's still coverd by warranty...
09-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iamarunr Quote
It was my bad. It was the other way round though. I was able to shoot at 55mm but not at 18mm. I also tried removing the lens and placed it in continuous shooting mode and noticed that it was getting stuck. But when I tried shooting it when the lens after cleaning the contacts it started working good. I guess I'll wait for a few more weeks and see how it acts before I decide to send it to Pentax.

I also tried a 135mm prime lens on the camera and was able to shoot without any issues.
Is it getting Stuck or is the Cameras Buffer just full and needs to write everything to the card before you can take another photo? I'm asking because you said 'continuous shooting mode'.

05-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #11

QuoteQuote:
"after few other tests I find out that is caused by a failure of the aperture actuator on the camera body (on the left of the mirror).
I have to send it to assistance and hope it won't take too much. Fortunately it's still coverd by warranty..."
Hi 512, I have just bought a new k-x (Target were clearing them out) and am having the same problem. If I try to wind the aperture setting above 7.1 the camera freezes and all I see is black through the viewfinder. It is not the timer, nor the shutter speed setting, batteries are new, etc etc. All works fine except at high aperture value settings. I press the LV button twice to unfreeze.

Did your camera get fixed through the service? How long did it take?