Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SLR resources..

Im noticing on ebay that lenses + cameras seem alot cheaper than lenses on their own. Is there a good resource anywhere that I can use to tell if the old SLR cameras are AF or MF, which would be useful when trying to work out what lens they have attached..
Alot the the listings are very sparse on details, and I know that an AF camera might have a MF lens attached. I just have no knowledge on the Pentax SLR range, so any helpful web pages would be useful in narrowing down my choices...

Based on the price I saw an SLR camera + FA 28-70 zoom go for (35) + my new camera bag has 4 empty lens pockets, I think Im sinking rapidly into a major bout of older lens LBA

06-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Im noticing on ebay that lenses + cameras seem alot cheaper than lenses on their own. Is there a good resource anywhere that I can use to tell if the old SLR cameras are AF or MF, which would be useful when trying to work out what lens they have attached..
Alot the the listings are very sparse on details, and I know that an AF camera might have a MF lens attached. I just have no knowledge on the Pentax SLR range, so any helpful web pages would be useful in narrowing down my choices...

Based on the price I saw an SLR camera + FA 28-70 zoom go for (35) + my new camera bag has 4 empty lens pockets, I think Im sinking rapidly into a major bout of older lens LBA
Look in the camera database here: All Pentax Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews - DSLR and Film SLR Database
I think you'd be better off asking the seller what lens (brand and model) comes with the camera and then look up that lens in the database. The camera might have been bought with mostly any lens or had mostly any lens attached for sale.

In the case of the FA you mentioned it was possibly this one (but ask the seller if you are unsure): Pentax-FA 28-70mm F4 AL Reviews - FA Series Zooms - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database (lens database is your friend too)
Note that a lot of buyers will catch on to these camera and lens combos and will bid just to get the lens.
06-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh, never even thought about the camera database for some strange reason!
I have been using the lens database as my bible as it really is a very useful tool. Im pretty sure that 28-70 was also the lens you stated, so Im gutted to have missed it for 35.

You would think that people would pick up on the cameras, but I think they seem to attract less interest than the lenses alone, so tend to go cheaper. I have only been watching film SLR's for a week or so, but that certainly seems to be the case, using me as an example, I have been watching lenses for 6 months, but only just started watching SLR's..
06-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter

You would think that people would pick up on the cameras, but I think they seem to attract less interest than the lenses alone, so tend to go cheaper. I have only been watching film SLR's for a week or so, but that certainly seems to be the case, using me as an example, I have been watching lenses for 6 months, but only just started watching SLR's..
I'm using me as an example when I say "others". I do exactly the same thing and often look for camera + lens to see if the lens is worth it alone. True they seem to get less attention than a lens listed alone but there are a few (like us) that keep an eye on them. Other better deals can be items that are not listed with full details (you need to ask and get the details privately). Often those come from sellers that have received hand-me-downs (along with other items) and don't know what they really have.
There are deals around but you need patience and a bit of luck which is aided by a bit of knowledge.

06-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One rule of thumb I generally follow is this: if the seller doesn't know enough the gear to have listed such basic information as whether it is AF or MF in the description, that's probably a seller to avoid.
06-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying cameras can quickly generate a pile of stuff. My advice is to avoid getting sucked into the cameras themselves. Yes, they are cool and used to be worth a lot of money. Now, they are not. Assume the cameras have no value from the start, and then you'll be happy when you get $10 for one.

A full camera outfit might come with a bag, cleaning supplies, filters, cable releases, etc. Some of those items are still useful. I use a bag that I got with an outfit deal. It's not the latest superduper thing but it works, it's free and holds the body and my 8 favorite lenses. Again, assuming the accessories are worthless is the best way.

I try not to rely on the seller to know anything. I bet you can find a half-dozen listings on eBay right now that say a screwmount lens is auto-focus, because the seller saw AUTO engraved on a switch on the lens. Learning to recognize lenses and cameras from crappy eBay photos is a valuable skill.
06-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Learning to recognize lenses and cameras from crappy eBay photos is a valuable skill.

It is one Im still learning..
Film SLR's have no use to me, should I get any, they will go on the marketplace for free if anyone wants to pay postage..
Im just looking as yesterday an Pentax MX went for 35 quid with a FA 28-70 lens and Id gladly pay that for the lens..
Actually it is quite a good learning process to have to research what type of old lens might be on the camera..
06-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Actually it is quite a good learning process to have to research what type of old lens might be on the camera..
I've bought 2 good lenses and a flash with camera bodies in exactly the same way for less than the lenses or flash were selling on their own. I checked the photos, did the research (the most important part) and even checked what other items they were currently selling. Naturally, I also checked the sellers feedback. In the case of one lens I was unsure about I messaged the seller and told them where to look on the lens to get the info I needed. The seller obliged and I'm happy with that purchase.

It's always Buyer Beware but knowledge is a powerful tool.

06-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
One rule of thumb I generally follow is this: if the seller doesn't know enough the gear to have listed such basic information as whether it is AF or MF in the description, that's probably a seller to avoid.
No, just the opposite! A hard-working buyer can exploit the seller's ignorance. If they don't know what they have, they won't describe the lot well enough to attract much attention, and a good lot can be won cheaply. I *depend* on getting cheap badly-listed sleepers. Real deals are rare from knowledgeable sellers.

And yes, a buyer may end up with an accumulation of STUFF. Some of that STUFF may be desired by *someone* when it's cleaned up and listed properly. And some won't. So I find myself with a pile of filters I don't want. No problem. I'll load those onto lenses I sell, rather than waste perfectly good lens caps. Or I've won two trashed cameras with fine lenses, cheap. I'll keep the lenses and list the bodies together for parts. I don't care how little the bodies sell for; I've cleared my shelf.

I said this before: The secret of getting deals is to bid low, bid often, lose most, and don't worry because another will come along soon.