Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #1

Pentax- F 35 - 75 mm not working on pentax K-x

Hi I am new to Photography. I have a Pentax K-x with the standard Kit. But recently I bought an old Pentax F-35mm - 70mm after I read about it on pentax forum. But I am unable to use it with my K-x. Maybe I am doing something wrong.Do I need to change any settings on my K-x before using it?? I'll appreciate ur help. I can only see ISO reading on the LCD and nothing else.

06-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emmbeepentax Quote
Hi I am new to Photography. I have a Pentax K-x with the standard Kit. But recently I bought an old Pentax F-35mm - 70mm after I read about it on pentax forum. But I am unable to use it with my K-x. Maybe I am doing something wrong.Do I need to change any settings on my K-x before using it?? I'll appreciate ur help. I can only see ISO reading on the LCD and nothing else.
Do you have the Aperture Ring set to A? You need to press the button to get it to the A position.
06-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Hi emmbeepentax https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
This should enable you to enjoy all the old lenses
This has nothing to do with the OP's lens, & will only serve to confuse him.
I have a couple of it's stablemates (F 35-105 & F 70-210), & have, as well, owned two copies of the lens you now possess. It has the typical, modern, auto mount used by other Pentax lenses, & should, consequently, operate as intended without any adjustments.
06-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #4

The F 35-70 is auto-focus lens. You can see the contacts on the metal ring around the mount. These contact are connected with ones on the camera's mount. They can be shortened or just dirty.

Clean up the contacts with spirit or even with rubber eraser.

You can check if contacts are shortened. Try to cover one with little piece of duct-tape and check the lens. Than another. You can loose auto-focus, or auto-aperture, or focal length...

If nothing helps, you lens is broken. Otherwise it can be used just as kit lens, without any additional settings.

06-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Do you have the Aperture Ring set to A? You need to press the button to get it to the A position.
Thanks everyone. I am really very happy to join the forum. Never expected prompt solutions. setting the aperture ring to A worked. Now another question,how to use macro on this lens(F-35-70mm).
Cheers!
06-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Turn the focus ring all the way pass 70mm, you will feel a bit of resistance, push a bit harder then you are in Macro mode.
06-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Thanks everyone. I am really very happy to join the forum. Never expected prompt solutions. setting the aperture ring to A worked. Now another question,how to use macro on this lens(F-35-70mm).
Cheers!
Glad to see you've worked it out. As the previous poster pointed out, turning ring past the 70mm will engage macro, and remember macro means close, and with this lens it's @ 9 inches, otherwise if you're not close enough it will not focus. Practice makes perfect

Good luck!
06-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for your support guys. Now I have another query. Will I be able to use K-mount Vivitar 70-210 F3.5(kenko) on my pentax K-x without any complication??
I'll appreciate a reply. Thanks

06-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter

The Vivitar might be a problem. Many Vivitar zooms had an extra long aperture guard. The SDM connector prevents the lens from mounting. The solution is to cut/grind the guard to a smaller size or remove it altogether. I have done this on a Vivitar 28-200 without any problems.
06-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Vivitar might be a problem. Many Vivitar zooms had an extra long aperture guard. The SDM connector prevents the lens from mounting. The solution is to cut/grind the guard to a smaller size or remove it altogether. I have done this on a Vivitar 28-200 without any problems.
+1 on that. I have a Sigma 70-210 with that issue. I think it is essentially the same as the Vivitar 70-210.
06-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Will I be able to use K-mount Vivitar 70-210 F3.5(kenko) on my pentax K-x without any complication??
I think this came up on another thread and I don't remember if you replied: Why do you call it a Vivitar (Kenko)? Does the lens have a Kenko filter mounted on it? That shouldn't matter.
06-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Some Vivitar lens have the Ricoh pin that needs to be removed before using it on your KX.
Jake