Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Rocket Blower - Have I been...

I don't have a rocket blower...
I do have a few lenses and do change them out and about, but I don't seem to really ever have a dust problem that can't be solved by a quick 'sensor shake'... Just the odd spot on the sensor...
Nearly everyone I know who shoots DSLR carries a rocket blower with them and they all seem to suffer from dust...
I use the K-x's dust checker 'thing' around once a fortnight and rarely get anything...

Have I just been extraordinarily lucky?

06-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Forum Member

I set the dust removal to start at start up and haven't gotten a speck of dust yet.
06-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most dust only shows at small apertures - f/11 and beyond. Perhaps you don't shoot that way often?
06-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Do you get dust on your lenses? I use it on my lenses far more than my sensor.

06-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it on the lenses where it is very useful, if bulky in the bag! For the sensor I have relied on only the start-up sensor shake, which seems to work fine. I have a lot of pictures taken around F11-F16
06-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've only REALLY needed the Rocket blower once, but nothing else worked and I had consistent blurring in the same place on most pics (app did make a difference as already noted). Used the RB and the problem was gone. Won't do canned air because of all the particles and liquids that can be found in it that can seriously mess up your camera. The RB is worth every cent IMHO.
06-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I use it more for blowing dust off lenses, but I have used it once to blow a stubborn piece of dust off my sensor and it worked a charm. I absolutely love the thing and wouldn't be without it! Would much rather safely blow the dust off the lenses than rub any cloth across them, no matter how soft.
06-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sure, dust settles on lenses, but that virtually never affects the image.

06-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Most dust only shows at small apertures - f/11 and beyond. Perhaps you don't shoot that way often?
f11 for a lot of landscape stuff... Sometimes as far as f16 when shooting long exposures (but you're right, not often above f11...)

I do use a lens cloth every now and again... never worried about damaging glass with it (although usually just wiping a UV filter tbh) and the rear-caps go on the lens real quick...
06-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For the most part I rarely get dust in my camera but the times I have I found the in-camera sensor shake to be worthless. I have probably used the sensor shake on 4-5 separate occasions with 100% failure and after using a rocket blower the dust was completely gone every time.
06-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

What Size RB ?

I keep telling myself that I HAVE to get a RB a/s/a/p.
I too so far have been extremely lucky. (K200D)
Now, the question is about the RB size. I believe that they come in 3 sizes.
Will the smallest one be sufficient for sensor cleaning?
That way, the smallest size, I will tend to carry it with me whenever I have
the camera.
06-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Gittos AA1900 for around $10.

See it here at B&H Giottos Rocket Air Blower - (Large) 7.5" AA1900 B&H Photo
06-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
Forum Member

Quality Blower

Don't get a CHEAP blower. I did and regret it ! I had to use canned air to clean My K20D after black specks showed up on the CCD sensor. I do think you get what you pay for.

I caution anyone from doing the canned air thing. I was a IBM tech/geek for 30 years and learned a lot about using it. Never use it at extreme temps. Or in anger ! Always clean the general area, use a clean "straw" and use several short burst to clean the straw. Don't
invert the can. At last, use short bursts and check so you don't cause more problems.

Only if you feel brave !!!!

Or for the faith of heart, it to a PRO....
06-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I have owned all sorts of bodies - never had any issues. One tip - whenever changing lenses, ensure that the front of the lens is facing downwards - this will prevent most dust (or even tiny particles off your hair/body) from entering the camera.
06-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I use the K-x's dust checker 'thing' around once a fortnight and rarely get anything...

Have I just been extraordinarily lucky?
The K-x dust checker is useless in my experience. I've had a spotless sensor and had it tell me it's a mess, and a dust filled sensor and tell me it's clean. The only way to know is f/22 at a white wall or blue sky, low ISO, import and do an auto levels correction. Then and only then will you know whether you have dust.

My guess is anyone who shoots primes is going to have a dusty sensor within a few weeks of last cleaning, but it doesn't show up untill you start stopping down.

The shaker will get rid of some dust. The blower gets rid of most. The Pentax lollipop gets rid of the rest.