Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

Saves to both JPG and PEF; Undesired

Hi all! I'm totally new to photography, but I aim to get into it. I bought a Pentax K-5 with a standard 18-55mm zoom lens. (I plan to get better lenses as I can afford them.)

So here I am with first (of probably very many) questions: my PK-5 is saving my image files to both JPG and PEF format every time I take a picture. I can't figure out how to shut that off. I didn't even know the camera could do that. So how do I shut it off?

Thanks!

-Rob (Shoal)

06-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your camera is set on raw+ format. In your options goto file format and change it to jpeg to save the one or raw for that format. Should be locate in the red tabs dont recall what it is exactly
06-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ah, so that's what "RAW+" means! I should've checked that in the manual. I assumed it was a higher quality image. Thanks!
06-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Once you get even more into photography be sure to find out exactly what you get when you shoot JPEG vs RAW (PEF or DNG).

The short version:

JPEG - The camera will do some post processing to make it look better before displaying the image and locks up some of the post processing options so that you cannot modify them.

RAW - The camera does nothing to the image (leaves it RAW) and allows you complete control over the post processing (via Photoshop or other programs).

06-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use RAW+ as there isn't a codec for W7x64 so that it can view the PEF files. The JPG is set to a small size - 2MB I think. That lets me browse the folders for images, plus the JPG is sometimes OK for uploading to Flickr or for a quick resize to email. But any worthwhile image I want the RAW.
06-11-2011, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shoal Quote
I should've checked that in the manual.
Yes, Id say you should have indeed! You might even want to read all of it before turning the camera on....
06-11-2011, 04:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ah, but Newmikey, what fun is it to read the manual if you can figure it out yourself through the joy of exploration? Though I admit, perhaps I was inconsiderate in asking for help without consulting the manual first. I apologize for that.

Nevertheless, I have already read portions of the manual. That was the only way I could figure out certain things. (The camera isn't exactly friendly to green explorers!)

As for RAW and JPG, I know the difference between them already, but still, thank you for the lesson! (I used to work in graphics and website design.)

The RAW format is certainly new to me, for I have never used it before. I knew of it, but that was all. My computer has a hard time handling them, but the image quality is higher and I have more control. I also don't think I shall be taking so many pictures that I'll need to worry about space.

06-11-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Read the manual first? All of it? Noooo!!!!! Life is too short and until I've used the camera a bit I won't understand the more complicated bits. In fact I still don't understand a lot of it and that doesn't bother me. I can get the camera to do what I want e.g. I use it like an ME Super with a shutter delay and remove control!

It's the same with all consumer stuff these days, hence a lot of it comes with a quick setup guide.

I did go right through the menus going back to the factory defaults, then I went through again amending one or two bits - for example setting RAW+ - but what I do is carry the manual so I can read it 'in the field' if necessary, and if I find any important bits that were hard to find I fold the corner over so I can find them again.
06-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I use RAW+ as there isn't a codec for W7x64 so that it can view the PEF files. The JPG is set to a small size - 2MB I think. That lets me browse the folders for images, plus the JPG is sometimes OK for uploading to Flickr or for a quick resize to email. But any worthwhile image I want the RAW.
Does a codec exist for either of the RAW formats? As I am just getting my camera today, and I used W7x64, I would like to be able to shoot in RAW format and have better control over my PP. It isn't something I've obsessed in using my P&S (I usually just use Windows Live Photo Gallery or Picasa for PP, and usually use the auto settings for quick and dirty editing), but for an advanced camera such as this, I know I will want "perfect" images
06-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There is a codec for DNG which has come along fairly recently from Adobe:

DNG Codec - Adobe Labs

However there also seem to be some people having problems with DNG and specific software - sorry can't be more precise as I use PEF and it works fine with Photoshop.
06-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

There is a codec for DNG which has come along fairly recently from Adobe:

DNG Codec - Adobe Labs

However there also seem to be some people having problems with DNG and specific software - sorry can't be more precise as I use PEF and it works fine with Photoshop.

Thanks. Is there any disadvantage to using DNG as opposed to PEF?
06-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steveknj Quote
Thanks. Is there any disadvantage to using DNG as opposed to PEF?
I have not found one. With some older models, the PEF was compressed and the DNG was not, so card space was one potential DNG downside.

I shoot PEF. When I import my files to my computer, I convert them to DNG working copies and archive the PEF files. With the K-7, the only reason for this is that the archive files are easier to identify. Files from my *ist DS could be compressed by almost 50% in the DNG conversion, making computer operations faster.

The Adobe conversion software makes the Pentax Photo Lab unable to open the DNG copy, sometimes annoying. I actually find the new codec annoying too, though I eagerly installed it. Any time Windows looks at a folder with DNG files in it, it tries to create thumbails out of all the images, which takes a significant amount of time. It is easier for me to use CS5 Bridge, which I allowed a lot of space to maintain a thumbnail cache.
06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Yes, Id say you should have indeed! You might even want to read all of it before turning the camera on....
The manual is just some other guy's opinion. I say fire away! That's how I learned all my cameras.
06-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

*hits head with mallet*
06-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I use RAW+ as there isn't a codec for W7x64 so that it can view the PEF files.
Actually, one does exist:

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack: PSD, CR2, NEF, DNG codecs (and more) for Windows 7, Vista and XP

I got it back when it was still free. It's currently a $15 deal.