Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

SIGMA MIRROR-TELEPHOTO MULTI-COATED 1:8 f=600mm LENS

Hi guys , i am after a little help

I purchased a SIGMA MIRROR-TELEPHOTO MULTI-COATED 1:8 f=600mm LENS it has a pentax mx fitment , i did some googling to find it is for a film slr , my problem is i purchased it in error as i was told came with a canon fitment , but it didn't and since then the seller has closed there account

I hear it is a good lens and i don't really want to have to resell it , so here's the thing i have heard that getting a pentax k adaptor to canon eos would work but i may have to butcher the lens a little while others say i won't

Could i use it with a canon eos (have a 550d) or shall i just buy a pentax so i can use it , if so what do you suggest in the way of a digital camera (not film) that it would work on , i originally got it as take loads of birds and wildlife shots but need the extra length as a 300mm doesn't always cut it

Cheers for any help either way

06-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy a Pentax K-x!

Really though, I don't know much about that K-mount to Canon EOS stuff. Someone around here should be able to help you though.
06-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Google or search for a PK to EOS adapter on eBay. If you can't find one on eBay it probably doesn't exist. Perhaps you got a very good deal for the lens that you want to try to keep it but if you are committed to Canon EOS system, I don't see the point of changing system just so you can use one lens.

Thanks,
06-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Please don't try to modify it yourself. You'll just end up breaking a good lens. Either cut your losses and sell it on or buy any of the pentax dslr's to use it on.

06-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This lens is manual focus and has a fixed aperture, so all it needs is a way to attach it to the camera. The PK to EOS adapters should work just as well as mounting it on a Pentax camera would.

I would do some price research. The Pentax system does not have a lot of long telephoto lenses available. You may find that the Pentax mount version can be sold for a high price. Then you can buy another Canon mount version for less.
06-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone , i think i will try to find an adaptor for now and if that fails then look at getting a pentax , i could use 2 cameras when out and about anyway
06-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with Dave just buy the adapters for now.
The adapters should work well without modification since it is just an additional attachment and that the film registration for Canon is less than the Pentax.
If it where the other way around then it would be hard to find an adapter for Canon (lens/mount) to Pentax.
If you find out that you don't like the set-up, just sell the mirror lens and just buy a new one specially with the Canon mount.