Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Many Pentaxians will tell you to think before to buy. You MUST plan your lens roadmap. Off course LBA always strikes but a carefully planned LBA path will give you what you need.
Absolutely! Do as we say not as we do.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
In my case, I did not bother with the kit lenses. My first lens was the all-around DA18-250mm that I quickly complemented within a fortnight with a fast prime
Same here.

From what I saw of the OP's current kit, I'd say a tripod (or at least monopod) is the next essential.

06-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I waited until dSLR IQ rivaled 35mm film, and price of Canon XT 350D 8.2mp dropped below $1000 in 2006, so I bought it with Sigma 30/1.4, a normal lens for the crop sensor. While searching for used Canon glass I encountered a group adapting film-era lenses to dSLR, learned about M42 mount, subsequently purchased a M42 S-M-C Takumar 1:3.5/28 and a M42 S-M-C 1:3.5/135. After seeing results I was in heaven! I had been considering Canon 135L US$800. That lens couldn't possibly be that much better, and research and experience has proven it. So for less than US$50 I had two very fine primes. I proceeded to collect the M42 S-M-Cs, assembling a set of primes 17-500mm, the macros, the zooms, bellows, SPII, SPF, ESII, all for less than 2 Canon L lenses. That was two years ago.
06-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for all your replies! It's very interesting to see where people come from and, through their experiences, where they're at now.

I apologise for not really stating my own reasons for purchasing what I wanted, even though I asked for reasons from everyone here. I first bought my K-r to, as always, "take better photos". However, before long, I found myself reading into all the details, all the terminology and wanting to take better photos, not just by owning a better camera but by being a better photographer.
My first step into buying a fast 50 was because I didn't like the pop-up flash (and thought flash was irrelevant and unnecessary... how wrong I was...) and considering 90% of the photos I take are generally at night and/or indoors (another main reason for buying a DSLR; high ISO!). I tend to favor portraits, followed by any other interesting thing I see. However, I'm still at a stage where I prefer taking photos spontaneously and "capturing the moment", rather than sitting a subject down and thinking about the shot. Hence, I'm glad I bought the M50/1.7, it's definitely the best purchase I've made so far, and I learnt a lot about exposure through manual focus and manual everything. However, I found that at times, especially when eating out with friends or family, that the 50mm was way too close for portrait photos. This lead me to buy my MF 28mm and I quite like the focal distance, though only having f2.8 is lacking slightly for me.
I also find that although my manual focus speed and accuracy is improving, a fast AF lens is something I'm working towards, especially one within the 28 to 50 range, including both extremes.

EDIT: I'm enjoying having a smaller kit as I usually carry around a bag with other things inside, hence I'm not all to keen on big and heavy lenses; my 55-300 kit lenses hasn't been used too much either.

Thank you to all for some of your suggestions. To be honest, I wasn't so much looking for suggestions. Rather, I was purely interested into the experiences of others and how most of us are confused at some point with regards to what to buy and what not to buy.

Sorry for the ramble!

Last edited by bakamera; 06-11-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Adding extra info for reasons of purchases
06-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a fun thread to read!

Initially I started off buying EVERYTHING, 3 at a time (cause that's all I could afford at any given time). I'd buy a lens, try it out for a while, take fastidious care of it & resell it for about what I bought it for. It was like the poor man's lens-lease program :P This way I got to get my hands on a ton of lenses very quickly & see what actually worked for me.

I actually started with a Canon (Rebel Xi, I think), but quickly realized the lens prices would bankrupt me. Some research led me to Pentax. I sold the Canon & bought a K10d the same week (never let it be said I'm not prompt when it comes to my obsessions). Some old manual lenses came with the K10, and then Christmas came. And with it, lenses! Lenses that were worth something & thus allowed me to resell them & buy new lenses (I don't think my sweetie has forgiven me for this yet....) Lets see if I can remember what I've had in just the past 2 years or so....

(here & there acquired misc: cheap monopod, good tripod, good polarizers, Light Scoop, bounce board)
FA 50 1.4
DA 35 2.8 Limited macro
M 50 1.7
(somewhere around here I got frustrated with AF & ISO performance, sold the K10 & bought the Kx 2 lens kit)
DA(L) 18-55 kit lens
DA(L) 50-200 kit lens
FA 100-300 4.7
DA 70mm 2.8 Limited
DA 14 2.8
DA 12-24
Sigma 10-20
DA(L) 50-300
DA 15mm Ltd.
(around this point a wedding came up, so I sold every lens I had currently)
DA* 16-50 2.8
DA* 50-135 2.8
(both of the DA* lenses were terrible front focusers, what luck! sent them back with much sadness)
Tamron 70-200 2.8
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.?
(then I realized I missed my DA15 every single day, so I sold the Sigma)
DA15 Ltd. the second
(I used the K-x DA15 & Tamron 70-200 for many months, got frustrated with the highlight clipping/lack of dynamic range in the K-x....then came K5 and FA Limited lust, sold everything!)

Current kit: K5 & FA43 Ltd., with my eye on the other FA Limiteds, and every intention of buying my third DA15 Ltd. :P, as well as a longer fast zoom (the Tammy was invaluable for that wedding, but I'd like to get my hands on a good version of the DA*50-135), and a longer fast prime (2-300mm range). Prime kit for my enjoyment & for portrait shoots, zoom kit for events where I have to shoot quickly or have to stand still.

Last edited by Ecaterin; 06-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.
06-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bakamera Quote
I also find that although my manual focus speed and accuracy is improving, a fast AF lens is something I'm working towards, especially one within the 28 to 50 range, including both extremes.
If MF is a key aspect of your shooting, may I suggest looking into a Focusing screen. I dont have one yet, i'm still in the research stage (reads: 'saving for a katz eye' ) but from nearly all accounts Focusing screens will assist you in this regard!