Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #1

Help! Automatic Flash not working consistently

Help! My automatic flash will work for about the first three pictures and then stops working. I just got it back from a professional service for cleaning and to have the flash repaired. They returned it after cleaning the lenses and determined there were no flash problems??? Help! Is there something I can try before taking it back?

06-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's start with some basics, what camera?
06-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oh, sorry...Pentax ist DS
06-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If you are taking photos one right after the other it is common for the flash to take a longer and longer time to recharge - this is usually because the batteries are getting hotter and hotter.

Are you sure you are waiting a long enough time between shots? I suspect not because as you describe the situation, you shoot a few times, it stops working, you put it down for a while, and it starts working again. Therefore something is recovering - it is likely something cooling off (in a broader sense batteries recovering.)

I think you might find that lithium batteries are best from a recycle time standpoint.

06-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, I am waiting between taking pictures (even though this never mattered before). I purchased this camera about 5 years ago, new, and never had this problem before. I am also using Energizer lithium batteries.
06-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cameramom Quote
Yes, I am waiting between taking pictures (even though this never mattered before). I purchased this camera about 5 years ago, new, and never had this problem before. I am also using Energizer lithium batteries.
Is this the first time you've used these batteries with this result? Could you try different batteries? Or maybe feel theses batteries to see if they are overheating?

I'm not trying to second guess you, just trying to make the symptoms precise; if it isn't the batteries (either by type or these particular batteries) then the fault must be internal.
06-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, I tried a different type of new batteries and still had the same outcome.

06-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cameramom Quote
Yes, I tried a different type of new batteries and still had the same outcome.
That's pretty good evidence it is internal I'd say.

It might help the fixers if you could give some data - like how many shots before it stops working and how long it takes for it to recover? Or maybe just send it back with a strong note?

Sorry it wasn't something simple - you must be frustrated!
06-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for trying. I will certainly take your suggestion about providing the service company more detailed information