Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #1

Af.c, Af.s, Af.a

Hey guys i always wondered what the difference was between these autofoucus modes i tried them all and i cant see a difference, can someone please explain the differences to me thank you !!!

06-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you try them on multi frame shots with a moving target? Set the Drive Mode to continuous shooting, and have a kid, dog, car move across your view finder... I think you'll find AF-C will shoot faster, but AF-S will likely have more "in focus".

Using single frame shot on a stationary target you wont see difference.
06-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iammokster Quote
Hey guys i always wondered what the difference was between these autofoucus modes i tried them all and i cant see a difference, can someone please explain the differences to me thank you !!!
What camera do you have? If you have the K-5, try reading pp122-123 or your user manual; the K-7, try reading pp118-119 of that manual.

Edit: Actually, with AF.S/AF.C/AF.A, you probably have a K-x or K-r, so try reading p115 or pp125-126 respectively.
06-11-2011, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF.S = auto-focus single mode

AF.C = auto-focus continuous mode

AF.S is the default mode. You must have AF confirmation (green hexagon on) before you can take the photo.

In AF.C you can shoot before AF confirmation. This is useful for objects in motion.

06-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanx!!!

thank you very much it helped greatly
06-11-2011, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iammokster Quote
To better understand the real world differences do the following:
  1. Set the camera to AF-C
  2. Aim at an object
  3. Half press the shutter button
  4. While still half pressed, aim at different objects at different distances

Notice that the camera was updating focus continually, hence the auto focus continuous.

Now,
  1. Set the camera to AF-S
  2. Aim at an object
  3. Half press the shutter button
  4. while still half pressed, recompose aim at different targets at different distances

Notice the camera won't focus after focusing on the first object. To refocus you need to release the shutter button and half press again.

Also, in AF-C if you do a full press of the shutter button at any time the camera will expose, even if it's not in focus. In AF-S a full press will only expose once focus has been achieved. Remember though, if you half press and recompose it'll still be focused on the original focal point, but it will fire in this case.
06-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
great explination wasser!!

02-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Inactive Account

great, i was looking for this case too.. thanks for the explanation matt, hcc and wosser, thanks for the question too iammokster..