Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lens hood and filter question

Is it possible to use a filter with lens hood? I know this sounds very basic, but this questions pops in my mind when i thought of using a Square lens hood and was wondering how will i use a polarising filter!!

And also i am seeing those collapsible lens hoods and think how can we fix a filter in it!? or in this case we can only use either of this at a given point in time?

Is it possible to use mainly a coking type filter with a square lens hood?

thanks

06-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Is it possible to use a filter with lens hood? I know this sounds very basic, but this questions pops in my mind when i thought of using a Square lens hood and was wondering how will i use a polarising filter!!

And also i am seeing those collapsible lens hoods and think how can we fix a filter in it!? or in this case we can only use either of this at a given point in time?

Is it possible to use mainly a coking type filter with a square lens hood?

thanks
Some hoods snap on and leave the filter threads alone. Of course you could just thread the filter in this case. If your hood uses the filter threads, then you simply put the filter on before the hood and then attach the hood to the filter. This is of course, if your filter is threaded on both ends.

To use a hood with a Cokin type you need to use the hoods made for them. Cokin won't take either hood design that attaches to lenses. See here:

Modular Hood

Oh, and watch out for vignetting.
06-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many of the collapsible hoods that thread onto the lens also have threads on the interior for a filter.
06-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The answer is a definite yes.
If you look at the OEM Pentax hoods closely that attach to your DA 18-55mm or DA 50-200mm or even the DA 55-300mm you will see that they have built in "windows" that you can take out so that you can turn or adjust the PL filter if you have attached one on the lens.
That is the purpose of that "door" or "window" built into the hood.

Attached Images

06-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry for the wrong reply since I didn't read the entire content of the OP's post.
As already mentioned by a previous post, the collapsible lens hoods have a filter mount thread also same as the lens. Think of it much like a filter with an added rubber hood since filters also have another thread in front of them so you can still attach another filter or it is where the lens cap also attaches on when you want to leave the filter on the lens.
The better way wold be to attach the PL on the lens, then attach the rubber lens hood on the PL so you can turn the entire hood to adjust the PL.
As for the square lens hoods, there are some that I think are clip-ons, so you basically still attach the PL on the front of the lens itself.
If the square lens hood has a thread, then you attach the PL first on the lens, and then attach the square lens hood on the PL filter so you can still turn/adjust the PL filter by turning and grabbing the hood itself.