Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are there fake Hoya filters?

I've noticed that one can buy on Ebay (UK) Hoya Pro filters for about 1/3 of the cost of the same filter from official outlets.

Is this OK, or are they fakes?

I have a K5 and use a Hoya Pro1 Skylight 1B all the time.

For a better handling of glare etc I use a Hoya Pro1 Digital MC PL-C polarised filter as well.

Both of these were far cheaper on Ebay than the list prices.

06-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, there are fake Gucci handbags, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are fake Hoya filters. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
06-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I've noticed that one can buy on Ebay (UK) Hoya Pro filters for about 1/3 of the cost of the same filter from official outlets.

Is this OK, or are they fakes?

I have a K5 and use a Hoya Pro1 Skylight 1B all the time.

For a better handling of glare etc I use a Hoya Pro1 Digital MC PL-C polarised filter as well.

Both of these were far cheaper on Ebay than the list prices.
Firstly, it's normal for retailers to sell cheaper than list prices.

However, fake Hoya filters are very common as well. Do you mind sharing the cheap sellers and the official outlets you are referring to?

I am in no way suggesting that cheap filters are fake. But if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
06-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I once bought a HOYA HMC ND8 from eBay and it looked identical to the genuine one, except the rear surface was uncoated. If I didn't know better, I would be fooled.

06-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This one is 18

This one is more than 3x the price, but should be genuine as Amazon rarely get involved with counterfeit stuff. (I have had counterfeit Windows XP installation CDs from them; the result of a 3rd party associated retailer, and this filter is also sold by a 3rd party retailer and not Amazon itself.)

If you search www.ebay.co.uk for

hoya filter 67mm pro new

you see a big range of prices. I can't believe they are all Hoya.

However - I have several filters here, some of which were the cheaper ones and I cannot say the cheap ones are fakes by looking at the coating reflectivity. The "Pro" ones have a much lower reflectivity than the standard ones, and the reflectivity is equally low on both sides.

Last edited by peterh337; 06-12-2011 at 12:46 PM.
06-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #6

They might not necessarily be fake: they might "just" have been stolen, and now sold cheaply on eBay.

As others have said... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
06-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
A few things to watch for on ebay.

Country of origin. Where is the seller? Is that the country that made the item?

Quantity for sale. Can find multiple sellers selling basically the same item for basically the same low unbelievable price?

Can you find the same product photo from multiple sellers in multiple countries all selling for a fraction of list?

Is there an indication that it is compatible but not equal in the ad text? Some sellers are somewhat honest, some not so.

Check other items from the seller, and feedback.

I find some sellers have different ads for UK/US/AU sections of ebay and different claims for the same product.

Some even put up buy-it-now ads with different prices (check current conversion rates to make sure) with the same "free shipping".
06-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

OK here the genuine one

06-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, we all know you can buy fake sunglasses, but (before someone posts a pic of a fake Rolex) this is a photography forum.

One thing I did notice is that the cheaper filters do come in slightly different packaging. You can see this in the Ebay pictures.
06-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about fakes but there is an el cheapo line of Hoya filters often found on ebay.

Most Hoya filters are made in Japan.
The linear polarisers are made in the Philippines.
The economy series of UNCOATED filters including a CPL, a UV and a Skylight are also made in the Philippines. They all have a green label in the case.

I had one of these, it says Made in Philippines on the case, I can't remember if it's printed on the filter ring. It probably doesn't say HOYA JAPAN on it.

example: - the first hit i found on ebay
Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer Cir-Pol CPL Glass Filter | eBay

and the expensive multi coated one from B&H
Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer (HMC) Multi-Coated Glass A77CRPL

edit: - actaully the cheap one is available at B&H also.. I never realised they sell it.
Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter B77CRPL B&H Photo

Last edited by steve1307; 06-14-2011 at 06:09 AM.
06-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
$150 for a 67mm polarising filter? That's a lot of money. But B&H are pricey, and (here in the UK) few people sell them.

Is this one any good? It is about 1/2 of the B&H price.
06-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
$150 for a 67mm polarising filter? That's a lot of money. But B&H are pricey, and (here in the UK) few people sell them.

Is this one any good? It is about 1/2 of the B&H price.

47 quid for the Pro-1D version is pretty good price i guess.

B&H sells the same version for 122 USD.
A store i go to in Sydney sells it for 135 AUD

I just used B&H as a yardstick for pricings as everyone else does.
Heres the Hoya 67mm CPL list. It appears that the most popular going by the number of comments is the el cheapo version
Polarizing

there are several versons of Hoya CPL in price order ascending

not multicoated - made in Philippines, green colour paper insert
High transmission version - not multicoated (i've never seen this one)
Hoya multi coated - made in Japan - blue coloured paper insert
Digital mutlicoated Pro1D- MIJ - (version you show) looks like it is the slimline version.
HD glass - MIJ - multicoated - high strength glass - very expensive.

BTW I dont have any Hoya filters any more - i had an Aluminum ring Hoya filter seize onto a lens once back in the film era AFAIK it's still on it. My fault for overtightening it.
Now I use brass B+W brand which in smaller 49mm like all my lenses isnt too expensive.