Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getty images and flickr

I was tagging some photos on my flickr account today. None of them were anything special but for some reason i was moved to a page asking to sign up for licensing my photos to getty images.

Now first things first, I have no idea who or what getty images is, and from what i make of it they are basically asking for the rights to publish all of my photos (if they are desired somewhere) and a key word popped out "exclusively".
Can someone that understands all this jargon please explain it? Possibly break it down into pro's and con's? Does this mean I can only sell through getty images if I post on flickr or what?
I've also read that they pay you bottom line $, although my photos are nothing special and wouldn't sell for much, I still hope maybe a couple of valuable shots are to come (hopefully) in the future.

Here is a link to the help page: HERE
Thanks in advance

06-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #2

Getty pays bottom dollar and their terms keep getting worse. And, unless you have a massive number of popular photos with them, you'll never make enough to justify it. The APA recommends that photographers avoid Getty.
06-12-2011, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nevermindhim Quote
Getty pays bottom dollar and their terms keep getting worse. And, unless you have a massive number of popular photos with them, you'll never make enough to justify it. The APA recommends that photographers avoid Getty.
I've read a little more on it, and by the look of it the main goal of this is to take the professional photogs out of the equation. The pro's would be commanding top dollar for their stuff but by having 1000's of amateurs contributing they can exploit the amateurs willingness to sell their photos at any cost just to get published.

I maybe missing the mark here but that's the way some of the info i am getting here reads.

And based on this I think I'll follow APA's advice and Decline from Getty. Photography is something I see as a hobby and I don't wish to take opportunities away from a one of the many struggling
'pros' that are trying to make a living from it. For bottom dollar? I think not.
06-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
And based on this I think I'll follow APA's advice and Decline from Getty. Photography is something I see as a hobby and I don't wish to take opportunities away from a one of the many struggling
'pros' that are trying to make a living from it. For bottom dollar? I think not.
Exactly the point, with you all the way here.