Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #1

Using Av mode on K-x

I think I have missed something somewhere! I mostly shoot in Auto Pict but when I shoot in Av images come out in mono. Probably staring me in the face but I can't see why. Any simple explanation will be appreciated. Thanks.

06-13-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oldphil Quote
I mostly shoot in Auto Pict but when I shoot in Av images come out in mono.
Can you explain what you mean by "come out in mono" ?
06-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess he means the come out black and white - does the K-x remember specific picture settings for each mode?
06-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

If black and white it sounds very much like the picture type in "custom image" has been switched to monochrome. In auto it always defaults to 'bright' but once you go into other semi manual modes you have a choice of settings. And these settings are remembered by default even when you power down.
So, turn your camera on in av mode, press info and enter "custom image" (First menu button in the top left of the display) you can then scroll left and right through a number of picture options including black and white. I personally like 'natural' on the Kx.

And whilst I'm here, what is the difference in control between Av and P mode ? Both let you adjust aperture size via the scroll wheel then the Kx alters iso and exposure accordingly to deliver a correctly exposed photograph. So as far as I can tell, and I'm no doubt wrong, they do the same thing .......

06-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In AV mode you set the aperture and the camera changes shutter speed (and ISO) to get a 'correct' exposure.

In P mode the camera changes all three to get the correct exposure, with a bias toward whatever preset you have (sport, shallow DoF etc.)

It's a subtle difference because all three exposure variables rely on each other, but it's a difference nonetheless.

Taken me three years to get my head around TAv mode, mind you!
06-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
Many thanks London Rob, spot on.
06-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
In AV mode you set the aperture and the camera changes shutter speed (and ISO) to get a 'correct' exposure.

In P mode the camera changes all three to get the correct exposure, with a bias toward whatever preset you have (sport, shallow DoF etc.)

It's a subtle difference because all three exposure variables rely on each other, but it's a difference nonetheless.

Taken me three years to get my head around TAv mode, mind you!
Splitting hairs, but:

With the K-x, there isn't any difference, because there's no option to alter the Program Line. With the upper level cameras like the K-5, K-7 etc., the different Program Line options will bias the settings that the camera uses. Newer cameras have more choices for the Program Line bias. The Program Line setting affects P and Sv modes directly, and TAv and M modes when the green button is pressed, but not Av mode.
06-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #8

Interesting - as new to DSLR (last slr experience 20+ years ago) I have spent ages trying to work out advantages of P mode on the Kx and assumed that (as usual) I was missing something. Still have problems with the green button...

06-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Splitting hairs, but:

With the K-x, there isn't any difference, because there's no option to alter the Program Line. With the upper level cameras like the K-5, K-7 etc., the different Program Line options will bias the settings that the camera uses. Newer cameras have more choices for the Program Line bias. The Program Line setting affects P and Sv modes directly, and TAv and M modes when the green button is pressed, but not Av mode.
Thank you Just1MoreDave. I have a K-x and had given up on understanding "Program Line". The manual should have been clearer on this issue. I mostly use Av and M, also the +/- button for manual lens not the green button as some have said on the forum. I guess the green button can be used with manual lens for certain cameras.
06-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
MSM
Veteran Member

On the Kx it is easier to use the Av mode. What ever aperture you set is locked and only the shutter speed changes as the lighting changes. This is when you fix the ISO. If using the auto ISO then it too will change. In the program mode, however, the aperture will also vary in ways that I can't explain other than as the lighting reaches a certain amount the aperture starts to close down. This is a big distinction between the modes. I much prefer to set my aperture and not worry the camera is going to change it.
06-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

@tkossally the green button and the exp comp. button can be used on the Kx with manual k mount lenses. I set the green button to optical preview and let exp comp button set shutter speed to the aperture I selected.
06-19-2011, 05:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@tkossally the green button and the exp comp. button can be used on the Kx with manual k mount lenses. I set the green button to optical preview and let exp comp button set shutter speed to the aperture I selected.
Thanks MSM,

I'm with you. When I got my first manual lens I used the green button as I was advised by the first post I stumbled on regarding using the M50/1.7. I later read another post to use the +/- button instead on a K-x. They both work(I think the shutter speed was always different but not by much) So like you, I use the green button for something else.