Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just my 2p..

Check my link - i shot a wedding with a K200D ( K5? i wish !! ) and an early kit lens 18-55... + MF Helios 200 f3.5 ( 40 on ebay )

I had only those 2 lenses all day. I'm not saying this is THE way, and most snappers will use 2 bodies to save changing lenses.
What i am saying is that you dont need mega gear. A lot of it is down to you.

These are just a few samples i uploaded to show you. There's a mixture of both lenses, candids, guests, etc. The EXIF will soon tell you which lens was used on each photo. The 18-55 has the focal length stated in the data, the MF Helios focal length is blank in the data

Hound dawg photography - Wedding - Photo Sharing at WinSoftMagic

06-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi all, well I am happy to report that the K5 did not have any trouble with burst mode

Got a few gd shots, but low light and meant I struggled in the main ceremony -but outside shots were gd.

Ordered a Metz speedlight to conquer the darker situations in the future. Looking fwd to it arriving and the inevitable learning curve.

Met the wedding photographer this morning. He looked at my -straight off the camera- shots and was maybe underwhelmed!? He has said to call him in a couple of weeks though so maybe he may have something.

One plus was that he has offered me a free place on 3 day course he will be running, so enthusiasm still has its uses...

Squier, thanks for posting your shots, and of course you are right! I just want to get the best shots I can, and when my talent runs out, kit can help a bit!!
06-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You're welcome speedy , but alas mate, when your talent runs out, no gear will help

You have a brilliant camera body already, and this will need decent quality lenses or it will show up the inadequacies of poor glass.

This is where we differ - i wouldnt put my glass on that K-5. It would be like putting Lester Piggot on a donkey
06-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Squier. Here are my shots on flickr from the wedding (mostly outside).:

Flickr: The Paul Reid's Photostream

Got my flashlight today, burned a whole new set of batts playing! Just need to practice and learn now...

06-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

You did well speedy - that mono of the bride is my fave. A lovely shot.
06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good job.
06-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 10speeduk Quote
Thanks Squier. Here are my shots on flickr from the wedding (mostly outside).:

Flickr: The Paul Reid's Photostream

Got my flashlight today, burned a whole new set of batts playing! Just need to practice and learn now...
Nice shots but I see that you Photoshopped the 2nd photo and blurred the background more.
Just a bit of advice and I hope you won't take it negatively.
If you are going to blur the background, make sure that you blurred everything.. since you forgot about the chair back support just to the right of her arm near the elbow and the one near the edge of the photo overlapped by the tulle.
I know that you probably left this out since the tulle will be blurred out too.
This is where your skill in PS will come in. You must blur the chair supports and clone the tulle and place it over the blurred support then you probably have to tweak the opacity of the cloned tulle to make it semi transparent as in the original.
06-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Here is a sample of what you should have done.
I can't be as exact in the blurring since you did the blur in a separate action and I can't exactly duplicate that. I did this blur as an addition to your blur.
Note where you still have the background chair parts still sharp whereas in what I did, it is already also blurred.
This is a before and after.
I hope you don't mind.

Attached Images

06-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Here is a sample of what you should have done.
I can't be as exact in the blurring since you did the blur in a separate action and I can't exactly duplicate that. I did this blur as an addition to your blur.
Note where you still have the background chair parts still sharp whereas in what I did, it is already also blurred.
This is a before and after.
I hope you don't mind.
Hi Gerry, that is golden feedback, thankyou! I was really struggling with the processing on that due the the DoF of the bench Vs the bride. I am on my bberry atm so can't see the pics, but will check later. I hope you can explain to me how you managed it?! Thanks again,

Paul
06-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Gerry, I can see the photos now. Yep, I did notice that when I processed it! But, I was not confident in how I could blur the bench part that is overlapped. Your version looks spot on

How did you do that?

Paul
06-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hi Paul!
It would actually look better if you do a graduated blur. Since the bride is clearly in focus, then the chair immediately near her arm should not be as blurred but then gets to the blur that you did on the background.
If using Photoshop CS3 upwards then the best blur for it would be the lens blur so it won't be as scattered as the blur of Gaussian blur.
Do as you did with the blur except this time add a graduated mask on the blur so it would go from sharp to bokeh blur.
As for the tulle, just copy the original or sharp portion of the tulle that you need to go over the blurred chair. Paste it on top of the blurred portion then just put a layer mask on the pasted portion so that you can use the brush to either paint out the areas you need blurred and retain the folded white edges of the tulle so it would still look like it is over the blurred portion.
I do the layer mask since if you make a mistake, you can just select the "white" to paint over the "black" that "erases" the upper layer and shows the lower blurred layer.
I don't know if you already know of how to do the layer mask and how to paint out the top layer by using the "black" and repainting the top layer by using the "white", but that is how it is done.
You can fine tune the transparency by tweaking the sliders on the opacity of the layer.
I hope I made sense 'coz it is hard to teach it in words than just showing it visually.
06-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have posted this photo on the film section when I showed a comparison shot of the MX and the Oly RC.
The unprocessed or straight out of the camera shot of the two units where already ok but I wanted the background blurred more but didn't want to do an abrupt blur so I had to do a "graduated blur"
Here is a sample of a graduated blur.
You will notice that from the back edge of the camera, it is still a bit sharp then get blurred little by little as if a shallow DOF was used.
The DOF I used for this wasn't as shallow as I wanted it so I had to help it with a bit of Photoshop.
Here's the link to that photo:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-film-slr-discussion/90...35rc-penmx-jpg