Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

pentax lenses on other cameras?

Can pentax lenses be used on other cameras? My sister in law has a cannon and was going to sell it really cheaply to my husband. It would be nice if he could use my lenses. Is there an adaptor or something that one could use? does it lower IQ to use an adapter?
Mine is a K-x and this other cannon is a rebel.

06-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Adapters do exist if i recall for canon ones and for da lenses apterure control is not available. M42 lenses will work fine with an adapter. Other than that i have not played with them.
06-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can fit a lot of lenses on other bodies as long as an adapter exists and as luck might have it, here is what you are looking for.
06-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, adapters exist for some combinations of cameras/lenses. Canon has one of the shortest registration distances (sensor to lens mount) of any cameras, so it is the easiest to adapt other lenses to.

The opposite is not true. I've never heard of anyone using Canon lenses on a Pentax camera.

There are adapters that have optics in them, that can sometimes overcome such problems. They work sort of like a teleconverter. Like a TC, they can degrade the image quality.

Even if you find an adapter, you will probably lose functionality. The lenses may not autofocus on the Canon, or you may have to use stop down metering in lieu of automatic metering.

06-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax lenses should not be used on Canon cameras. That is one of the major reasons for the spike in prices of used Pentax lenses -- Canon users have found how great they are, and they buy them, and drive up prices, and DON'T LEAVE ANY FOR USE PENTAX USERS!! No, you should use Fujica and Minolta-Sony and Exakta and Petri and Contax-Yashica and Olympus and Nikon lenses. But LEAVE THE PENTAX LENSES FOR THE REST OF US!! Karma will catch up with you, y'know.
06-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Pentax lenses should not be used on Canon cameras. That is one of the major reasons for the spike in prices of used Pentax lenses -- Canon users have found how great they are, and they buy them, and drive up prices, and DON'T LEAVE ANY FOR USE PENTAX USERS!! No, you should use Fujica and Minolta-Sony and Exakta and Petri and Contax-Yashica and Olympus and Nikon lenses. But LEAVE THE PENTAX LENSES FOR THE REST OF US!! Karma will catch up with you, y'know.
I agree with your comments. I've seen used takumar lenses destroyed because canon users wanted to use them and glued down the pin or mangled the aperture control to allow them to work on their bodies. It's quite sad that canon users must steal our glass in order to take good pictures. My only wish is that canon and nikon users would stop looking down on pentax when they themselves use pentax glass over their own company c