Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #16

Original Poster
Well, the reason I went with the T3i is this...

*It was $850 with a kit lens and next day air.

*I already own a Sigma DG APO 70-300 and a Canon EF 50 II so having 18-55 will be nice to play around with, even if it is mediocre, I can always sell it later or just keep it for play.

*Magic Lantern development for the camera has started. It's not like I'll be modding a new camera and killing the warranty but, the idea that later on in the future as the software matures and my T3i starts to feel old, the option will be there.

*Rotating LCD, great for people like me that wear glasses all the time, and great for video recording and macro photography.

*Manual Video Controls.

*External Stereo Microphone recording and audio level controls without the need for Magic Lantern.

*Crop/Zoom of the sensor while filming.

*Sure the thing has rolling shutter but, so does my HV-30.

*Auto Sensor Cleaning

*"Slightly" better build quality than the T2i

*I can sell my HV-30 camcorder and recoup a good chunk of the money.

* I can sell my other camcorders and junk I have laying around I will not be needing since I'll have a T3i. I may even say goodbye to my old Canon G2 Black LE or I may IR it.

* I'm sure the T3i, as other models, will hold its value.

I didn't go with the 60D as it's just too expensive when compared to the T2i/T3i. Sure it's probably a slightly better camera but, I don't rape my equipment nor do I shoot in the rain that often or on purpose. I also have small hands and sometimes my 10D feels too big so the smaller sized T3i should fit me better.

If my grants were not coming through for school then I'd have absolutely picked up a K-x or K-r.

Last edited by User01; 06-14-2011 at 07:53 PM.
06-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked up the 10D specs. I bet nobody added a battery grip to that because it felt too small.
06-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear you chose Canon. I used canon before. I loved it to be honest, but I purchased a Kx not too long ago with both 18-55 &50-200 plus an 8GB Class 10 for 600 out of B&H and the Canon has been long gone since.

You should give a Pentax K-r a try one of these days. I hear it's better than mine. I love the high ISO performance in my Pentax, plus the feel of my old SMC-A lens is great! Even that SMCA 50 f2.0 has given me great shots, and I've used it reverse mounted for great macros.
06-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Agree with the above. I have several really high quality Canon FD lenses from 30 years ago which are unusable on modern EOS bodies. They are now in the same box in the closet with my F-1 body. Top of the line in their day but now just museum pieces.

06-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Agree with the above. I have several really high quality Canon FD lenses from 30 years ago which are unusable on modern EOS bodies. They are now in the same box in the closet with my F-1 body. Top of the line in their day but now just museum pieces.
Ah, I bought some good FD lenses REAL CHEAP a couple years ago and sold them for a REAL GOOD PROFIT not so long ago. Seems that NX and NEX and m4/3 users have found they work well on their short-register cameras. My next cam will probably be a NEX, so I'll probably be in the market for FD's again. No, they're not just museum pieces!
06-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ah, I bought some good FD lenses REAL CHEAP a couple years ago and sold them for a REAL GOOD PROFIT not so long ago. Seems that NX and NEX and m4/3 users have found they work well on their short-register cameras. My next cam will probably be a NEX, so I'll probably be in the market for FD's again. No, they're not just museum pieces!
Huh. Wonder what I can get for my old 85 f1.8 and 28 f2.8? And maybe 50 f1.4? (although I need something to keep on the T90)
06-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe there is now FD->EVIL adaptor available, which makes the lenses more attractive.