Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DO NOT under any circumstances let any of whatever you use seep around the edges of your lens. The solvent could end up attacking the lens element laminations and then you'll have an even bigger problem than you have now.

06-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'd try the insurance route, and also agree that either way this would be grounds for a K-5!
06-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tfischer Quote
Thinner is petroleum (oil) based. You know what they say about mixing oil and water?

In short, it won't work
You may be correct, I did not think about that. For water based paint (latex) soap and water should work.
06-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I'd try the insurance route, and also agree that either way this would be grounds for a K-5!

I just want to inject a note of caution about insurance claims. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong about their opinions and the results they achieved.

Here in the US all insurance claims are reported to a shared database that the companies rightfully or wrongly use for determining your rate or renewal rate. Non storm related claims make you a higher risk that the guy next door who never filed a claim and has the same credit rating as you, (yes they factor that in also).

I paid insurance on 6 houses, 2 cars and a home for close to 30 years. Then I had one big claim where I was no where at fault and suddenly I am Persona non Grata with my current company. For 3 long years I was on a $hit list.

I strongly suggest you refrain from filing claims unless it absolutely necessary. OP pardon me I mean no insult, I would be especially careful where carelessness or stupidity was involved.

06-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Some solvents will "damage" plastic so use caution in that regards as well.
06-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Can we please get a scripted copy of the exchange you had with your wife when you found this out!? I don't mean to pry but she has to know that you are very interested in your photography and I think it would be entertaining to be a fly on the wall for that one!!
Incidentally I have no idea how you should clean your lenses and camera, I say she gets a part time job and her earnings go straight to your replacement fund.
06-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Can we please get a scripted copy of the exchange you had with your wife when you found this out!? I don't mean to pry but she has to know that you are very interested in your photography and I think it would be entertaining to be a fly on the wall for that one!!
Incidentally I have no idea how you should clean your lenses and camera, I say she gets a part time job and her earnings go straight to your replacement fund.
well lots of silence resulted after
I wrote sigma a couple of days back and they yet to get back to me
as far as the k5 goes, it would be between a k5 and a tropical cruise (can't afford either but what the hell)
which one would you choose? the wife stays with both decisions

cheers

06-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
well lots of silence resulted after
I wrote sigma a couple of days back and they yet to get back to me
as far as the k5 goes, it would be between a k5 and a tropical cruise (can't afford either but what the hell)
which one would you choose? the wife stays with both decisions

cheers
The K5. It will far outlast the cruise and I'm always hearing of entire shiploads of people getting sick on these big a$$ boats.

06-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
I would prolly try something along the lines of "Well, your spray painting adventure cost more than just ruining my camera. It cost you the tropical cruise 'cuz now I gotta get a new camera." And when that fails, I would prolly wait another week or two then run the line "Well, we need something to record our fun while on the cruise. It makes no sense to buy a less expensive camera as that's just money wasted toward the K-5. So I'm gonna get that for our cruise." F'n women. She ruins your camera but hasn't bought you a suitable replacement yet? I hate 'em.
06-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The K5. It will far outlast the cruise and I'm always hearing of entire shiploads of people getting sick on these big a$$ boats.

only been on one cruise and it was mostly self induced sickness
06-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
only been on one cruise and it was mostly self induced sickness
Liquid courage aside, I would still go with the K5. Then again, every boat I've ever been on, I've wound up in the water (and not a swimming pool either) outside of the boat, involuntarily.

06-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Don't you have a closet or two reserved to store your photographic equipments?
First of all I have great sympathy for your situation and I hope you can
solve the cleaning issues satisfactorily.
Now, as a caution to anyone else - why would anyone sit down a camera
anywhere for any amount of time with NO LENS CAP on the lens?
It seems to me that spray paint on a body or on the barrel of a lens
is just an accident. Leaving the glass of a lens exposed is carelessness.
I hope others take a warning from this.
- - - And enjoy the K5 !
06-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OMG I feel for you here.

P.S. Cruises are generally dead boring. Unless you're single.
06-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When are you posting the long story? But I sure feel for you. And nothing like a K5 to perk up a day.
06-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Btw, if it's just a dusting, to get it off the elements, you might try a combination of temperature change (ie, put the lenses in the freezer a little while,) and gentle mechanical removal, maybe with a little alcohol to help get underneath it: overspray sometimes isn't actually adhered so well, and you may not need to dissolve it to get rid of it. (if it *did* adhere chemically to the coatings, those coatings may or may not already be history.)

If that does start working, be sure to keep using clean pieces of cloth or paper: you don't want to be grinding anything abrasivey around on there in the process.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-18-2011 at 01:11 PM.