Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #1

K-x

Hi,

I am a starter in photography,I have a pentax K-x model.These two photographs were taken at the same place and same time with same settings as well.But the difference in grains and focus is too much in both these photos.Can u help me and explain what can be the issue and what has to be done to avoid this.

Attached Images

06-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Stop using 11 points auto focus and use single centre point focus.
06-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
To add to this...

Lock focus on the centre-point on your subject by half-pressing the shutter button...

Keep that shutter half pressed while you recompose the shot. When ready breath in, hold it and press the shutterbutton down to fire...

I couldn't see any exif data... But I reckon your shutterspeed my have also been quite slow... Either open up on your aperture or bump up the iso to get a faster exposure...

Good luck mate
dave
06-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, in the first photo the focusing point chosen was on a plane behind the boy, in line with the fabric to his left rear. Changing the focus selector to the center position will give you more active control.

06-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Also check the ISO range. If it is on auto you should change this for better results. I second third whatever -the auto focus issue. You can select the focus point(s) very easily and thus you get better results. Sometimes people get confused with the focus lock, not hard once you get it though.
Try your hyperprogram mode and speed up your shutter speed a little - the camera will adjust you aperature automatically and if you get lost just push the green button and it will take you back to the starting point again.
Good luck.
06-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanx for the replies, can you tell me what is the difference how to decide when to use single auto focus and 11 point auto focus.
06-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What mode were you shooting in?

QuoteOriginally posted by imtiaz Quote
Thanx for the replies, can you tell me what is the difference how to decide when to use single auto focus and 11 point auto focus.
Center Focus is exactly that, it will focus on what is in the center of the frame and only that. When you use this setting you can focus on the subject and re-compose to any position you like. Center the subject, half press the shutter to achieve focus then move the camera to position the subject where you want it, then fully press the shutter.

11 Point will try to determine what object you are trying to focus on in the frame within the 11 points and focus on that object. The problem with the Kx is that there is no focus light indicators so it is hard to tell exactly what is being focused on. I NEVER use this setting because I don't want the camera to "guess" the focus point, I want to control it. So unless you find the 11 point to be useful I suggest never using it and using the center focus - recompose method.
06-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
What mode were you shooting in?

Center Focus is exactly that, it will focus on what is in the center of the frame and only that. When you use this setting you can focus on the subject and re-compose to any position you like. Center the subject, half press the shutter to achieve focus then move the camera to position the subject where you want it, then fully press the shutter.

11 Point will try to determine what object you are trying to focus on in the frame within the 11 points and focus on that object. The problem with the Kx is that there is no focus light indicators so it is hard to tell exactly what is being focused on. I NEVER use this setting because I don't want the camera to "guess" the focus point, I want to control it. So unless you find the 11 point to be useful I suggest never using it and using the center focus - recompose method.
+1 absolutely.

06-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am making it +2, a hard lesson learned. I am going to quote below the main point.

QuoteQuote:
Whatever you focused on will still be the clear focus in the picture.
06-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There is only one situation I know of where 11 points AF is useful, and that's when you are in AF-C mode tracking a fast moving subject against a plain background. I've encountered that situation exactly zero times in 25k shutter clicks, but then I don't photograph birds.

Every other situation you are better of using single point only, and it makes sense for this single point to be the centre point 99% of the time.
06-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #11

There is only one situation I know of where 11 points AF is useful, and that's when you are in AF-C mode tracking a fast moving subject against a plain background. I've encountered that situation exactly zero times in 25k shutter clicks, but then I don't photograph birds.

Every other situation you are better of using single point only, and it makes sense for this single point to be the centre point 99% of the time.
Hello twitch,
What focus type shud I use when I want the subject in the corner of the frame?
Cheers
06-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emmbeepentax Quote
Hello twitch,
What focus type shud I use when I want the subject in the corner of the frame?
Cheers
If the subject is something not moving much, then focus and recompose is what I use. If it's moving I use AF-C, bulls eye them, and crop in PP if I want them out of the centre.
06-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #13

Would you all still use spot focussing on a landscape shot?
06-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darstadlydarcey Quote
Yep... Focus and recompose... Simples...
06-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by darstadlydarcey Quote
If I'm using a tripod then I turn off auto focus and use manual focus. I generally use primes which have DOF scales which are very handy for optimising sharpness in teh scene.

If I'm not using a tripod then I may use single point AF and focus maybe ~10 meters into the scene and recompose (depending on focal length and aperture). But still I prefer to use MF even hand held.

AF for landscapes (taken with wide lenses) is not very useful at all.