Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4

Hi,

Can anyone help me download the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software as my CD is corrupted.

06-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Have you ever been able to install the software at all? I'm not sure what you meant about your CD being corrupted. Do you mean it's scratched somehow and can't be read by the player? If so, try cleaning in as much as you can with a disk cleaner and stick it in a burner and make a copy. I've had severely scratched CDs (Audio and or Data) that's already giving an error with the player but somehow my burner had no issues reading it and made a full copy.

Hope this helps, Cheers!
06-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can download the latest version of the software by choosing Cameras, Digital SLR, and your camera model, then Software:

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Scroll down and choose the version for your operating system. The download is the entire program. When you run it, it checks to see if you have the CD. This thread has several ways to bypass this check.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/36984-how-install-pp...stalled-2.html
06-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Hi,

Thanx for the help,I was able to install the software.But I am facing a problem,when I open the images to edit I am unable to edit the same as none of the tools work.What can be the issue.

06-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know the software is picky about the files it can open. It will open my original PEF or DNG file but if I run these files through Adobe DNG Converter, it refuses to open them. So try files that haven't been saved by another application.
06-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtiaz Quote
Hi,

Thanx for the help,I was able to install the software.But I am facing a problem,when I open the images to edit I am unable to edit the same as none of the tools work.What can be the issue.
In addition to what Just1MoreDave has posted, for jpeg, it can matter how the files are imported. If you import using the Windows photo importer the file seems to be changed and won't open in PDCU4. If you import using PDCU4 or Windows Live Photo Gallery then they can be edited ok with PDCU4. You also need to ensure the latest update to PDCU4 is installed to be able to edit jpegs but note you can only edit those jpegs shot with a supported Pentax camera.
03-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
DR6

Warning necessary: Windows viewer destroys JPG

Should there not be a warning in the Camera Utility 4 and the Pentax manual that Windows Live Viewer etc destroys the photos?

Camera Utility 4 cannot be used anymore after just turning the photos

Is there an easy non-destructive photo-viewer that i can use for quick viewing?

Should there not be a warning in Pentax manuals?
03-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DR6 Quote
Should there not be a warning in the Camera Utility 4 and the Pentax manual that Windows Live Viewer etc destroys the photos?

Camera Utility 4 cannot be used anymore after just turning the photos

Is there an easy non-destructive photo-viewer that i can use for quick viewing?

Should there not be a warning in Pentax manuals?
FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

Reads PEFs quickly. I keep it on my netbook for travel viewing. I never use any of its conversion functions, which I'm told are good.