Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Closed Account

Possible to remove the reticle (scale) in the Pentax 8x30 monocular?

Is it possible to remove that ridiculous reticle (scale) in the Pentax 8 x 30 monocular? I bet not 1 in 50 users like it. I wonder if its a separate glass piece that could be taken out or if its etched onto either a lens or prism inside. I phoned Pentax Canada service headquarters. What a joke that was. First they didn't even know what a reticle was. Then they didn't know how to disassemble the monocular. Then they told me even if they knew they couldn't tell me. They couldn't even give me an estimate as to the cost because....well it was useless. I've peeled back some of the tape-like covering Pentax affixes to the tube for grip but if the reticle is etched on to glass its all for nothing. Hopefully awaiting someone experienced in this area. Is it etched or separate?

06-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure if anyone on this forum is familiar with PENTAX sport optics...

--DragonLord
06-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My advice is to ignore the reticule and use it as it is. If the reticule is on a separate piece of glass, what will you replace it with? The reticule glass will be stacked with other glass elements in the eyepiece. The thickness of the reticule glass is part of the optical formula and just removing it could change the relationship between elements. Where would you find the right size spacer to take the place of the reticule glass?
07-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
I was hoping the reticle would be on its own piece of glass that could be removed. Guess that probably isn't the case. It sure seems odd that they would put this in the view when most people wouldn't want it. I find it very distracting. At least they should have had 2 models: one with and one without. 8 x 30mm is a very nice tradeoff in terms of weight, size and light gathering ability.

07-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Other reticles I've seen are actually made of thin wire attached to the tube and suspended between the glass elements. You might be able to tell by looking into the wrong end of the scope and shining a light inside.
07-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Interesting idea - regarding the wire. I shone a bright LED flashlight into both ends with no success. But I did notice that the reticle is out of focus when the monocular is focused to a close distance. It pops into clarity when focused more or less at infinity. Does that give a clue to anything I wonder? My flashlight is about 1" across. Perhaps a smaller beam might be more useful. I'm going to try to find one. It does seem odd that a straight tube has something across it and I can't see it from a few inches away even with the aid of a flashlight. (My close vision is fine.)
07-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
If anyone has every taken a Pentax monocular apart, please share your experience. I'd love to know how its possible. It would be good to know just for cleaning though I might allow more dirt to pour in when its open than all the time it was closed!

11-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax2u Quote
It sure seems odd that they would put this in the view when most people wouldn't want it.
The reticle is actually provided for measuring the size of objects in microscope mode, when the monocular is attached to a clear stand and a close-up lens. In that mode, it becomes a 25 X microscope with about 75 mm of working distance. The reticle measures 0-4 mm in units of 0.1 mm. Great for microscope use, but pretty much useless in monocular mode.