Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Calcu-Light XP repair - how to split case?

Hi, all. My XP that I've had since the '80s has decided not to work. I tries new batteries with no success. There is no corrosion evident in the battery compartment. I want to split the case to check for internal corrosion, cold joint, etc. Does anyone know how to split the cases? I removed the two screws by the batteries but there is something else holding the case together.

I contacted Quantum Instruments but they no longer have technicians who work on the XP.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA.

08-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #2

Manufacturers often put a sticky label over one screw as a sort of tamper evidence in the case of warranty claims. Maybe there's a serial number sticker or something similar.

One here for sale.
08-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Calcu-light repair

Hi. Thank you for the information. I was able to peel back the plate. Fortunately, it was stiff enough that it was not damaged. Unfortunately, the problem appears to be in the battery holders. I'll have to disassemble them to find the problem. It looks like localized corrosion.

Dan