Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adapter question

Hi there!

I'm looking for a fast ~35mm lens to mount on my K-5.
I see Voigtländer is selling a 35mm F/1.4 at an affordable price. However it is designed for M-Bajonett Mount. I need an adapter, but I'm a bit lost, is it M39 or M42, or even something else? On Cosina website I see it is even referred as VM mount (I think it is the same lens).

Can you help me sorting that out? I'm fine with manual focus and aperture, but I'd really keep automatic exposure. Does this information apply (I guess so if M = M42, but what happens if it isn't)?

Thanks!
Calimo

06-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I believe that is a Leica M-bayonet mount. M39/M42 are screw mounts. That adapter in that link you gave will allow you to use an older Takumar M42 screw mount lens (or any M42 screw mount lens) on a Pentax K mount.

Last edited by tuco; 06-16-2011 at 09:50 AM.
06-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's a leica mount and is not available in K mount you can buy kits to convert them.

Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

I don't know if that specific voigtlander is adaptable or not, just tossing out the idea.

06-16-2011, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

A Leica M lens will not work with a Pentax K mount camera because of it's registration distance is too short. If you are looking at some of the more exotic lenses to use with your K-5, this link is an essential information: Camera Mounts Sorted by Register Basically, any registration distance listed above the K mount will not work with your K-5, while those below is safe.

Thanks,

06-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As excanonfd said, M-mounts won't work directly on PK cameras.

The PK register (flange-focal distance, the distance from the lens base to the film or sensor frame) is 45.46mm. Lenses with similar or longer registers can reach infinity focus on a PK camera. These include M42 and M39 screwmounts, Olympus OM, Contax-Yashica C/Y, Nikon, Exakta, Petri, and longer medium-format (MF) lenses. Some of those mounts require modification in order to fit (and I have done such work). M42, M39, and MF lenses only need fairly simple adapters, but MF adapters aren't cheap.

All other lenses with shorter registers either require major surgery or an optical adapter, or can be used only for macros / closeups. These include Canon, Minolta-Sony, Leica, Miranda, Konica, and all the rest. Optical adapters are essentially short teleconverters that totally change the characteristics of the lens. And as mentioned, kits may be purchased that adapt Leica and some other mounts to PK. These kits are not cheap, and are most appropriate for VERY valuable lenses that will never again be used on their native cameras.

Short version: Don't bother with M-mount lenses. Look for PK and M42 lenses. All the others are a bit of bother.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-16-2011 at 04:29 PM.
06-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok thanks all!

Calimo
06-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you are a looking for a fast 35mm, then I would suggest, in order of cheapest

S-M-C Takumar 35/2 (M42 screw mount- needs adaptor manual exposure only no P-TTL flash)

SMC or SMC-M (K mount no adaptor needed manual exposure only no P-TTL flash)

SMC-A (K mount and permist auto aperture and use of P-TTL Flash)

Samyang 35mm F1.4 (KA mount new product but starting to get expensive. Manual focus