Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lenses on a Safari.... well sorta

I will be going to Virginia Safari Park tomorrow and while there is a walk around area I will be mainly shooting from inside my car.

I plan to be there all day as you can go through as many times within the time frame they are opened for one entry fee per person.

I have the following lenses in my bag that I will/can take.

18-55 Pentax Kit
55-300 Pentax Kit
70-210 Pentax SMC 4-5.6
70-200 Tamron 2.8

I am guessing for inside the car I will be good with the 70-210 or 70-200. We have a Ford Escape and the backseat is fairly wide so I can get a good 5ft from window to window.

That will also afford me the chance to be able to zoom if need be.

However being able to go through multiple times also affords me the chance to go through with one lens then follow up with another (18-55?) a second trip etc.

I guess over all what I want to know is will the 2 70's suffice without having to swap even though I could and if so which one would be better (2.8?)?

Or am I totaly off base here?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

06-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is the 70-200 f/2.8 sharper/ better than the 55-300mm? If you will be going in the day time, will you need the extra speed of the f/2.8? The kit lens plus the 55-300 will give you extra reach, which can be nice to get a tight framed shot to remove obvious signs of a zoo, like the animal's enclosure.
06-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Is the 70-200 f/2.8 sharper/ better than the 55-300mm? If you will be going in the day time, will you need the extra speed of the f/2.8? The kit lens plus the 55-300 will give you extra reach, which can be nice to get a tight framed shot to remove obvious signs of a zoo, like the animal's enclosure.
Oh the great thing about this is the animals are not enclosed.... (well some are however in the walk around area I have more leeway to swap lenses if need be)

My wife will be driving as the animals roam freely.

I was thinking at first of the 300 but I am inside the car (darker) and didnt know what type of effect it would have trying to take a picture of an animal 6 feet away or so.

It will be during the day and the weather report is calling for partly sunny chance of T-Storms.
06-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Honestly? You're going to be in the car most of the day? Take them all, it's not like you need to hump them around all day. Use the one that fits the situation at the moment.

Oh yeah, have fun & Post Pics!

06-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Honestly? You're going to be in the car most of the day? Take them all, it's not like you need to hump them around all day. Use the one that fits the situation at the moment.

Thanks for the well wishes. However being paranoid as I am all I need is camel spit in the body of my camera...

That and it appears to be very dusty/hairy so I would feel uneasy in swapping the lens while we are driving through, rolling down, up the window, AC on blowing air and particles around etc....

Or is that being overly cautious thinking?

So the best bet since it is Fathers day weekend is to have the wife and son shuttle me through a few times....
06-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aknot Quote
I was thinking at first of the 300 but I am inside the car (darker) and didnt know what type of effect it would have trying to take a picture of an animal 6 feet away or so.
just a simple note, the light inside your car is irrelevant, other tna potential for reflectins on the window glass.

from a photography point of view the light where the subject is, is what not matters, not the light where the photographer is.
06-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use the 55-300. Take the 18-55 if you must. Turn off camera when changing lenses. Fix the dust spots, if any, later. Have fun.
06-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Thanks, I did and did.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/148832-nature-virginia-safari-park.html