Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #1

spotmatic user's manual

I get a spotmatic film camera but don't know its model and how to use.Where can I find user's manual?

Thank you!

06-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bork2005 Quote
I get a spotmatic film camera but don't know its model and how to use.Where can I find user's manual?

Thank you!
You can do a google search for a PDF file on line. Try this site, http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_spotmatic_ii/pentax_spotmatic_ii.htm. Otherwise, you can get a book of the basics of photograghy. It will give a good starting point to start using you camera. By the way the Spotmatic is a great film camera. Enjoy using it!!

Last edited by stevbike; 06-18-2011 at 02:20 PM.
06-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Here you go.

PENTAX MANUALS

06-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

Thanks for the link

06-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for STEVBIKE and JeffJS! I got it.
06-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
How to connect hot shoe flash to Spotmatic?

I make it clear that what I got is a HONEYWELL SPOTMATIC film camera. It has both F and X flash connecting outlet.The problem is what kind of flash fit them,e.g. I have a hot shoe electronic flash with PC line.May I use it?To which hole,F or X?

Thank you for your kind instruction.I checked user's manual there is not any clear instruction.I think it is because the manual were written scores of years ago.
06-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Use the X sync and make sure your shutter speed is set to whatever the x sync speed is Usually 1/60 or 1/30, something like that. Check your manual and look for flash synchronization. Use the wrong flash sync and you'll have half black photos.

06-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you are aware, the Spotmatic has no hotshoe for flash.

To attach a flash to your camera, you will need a bracket and a synch cord appropriate for your flash.

They made a small bracket that clipped over the viewfinder eyepiece. They are really quite flimsy and would only hold the smallest flash. They appear on ebay quite frequently.

There are many other brackets. One of the most popular, back in the day, was an L-shaped bracket that was hinged for storage. It screwed into the tripod socket and had an accessority shoe on top. These were usually NOT hotshoes, however. That is, there was no electrical contact for flash sync. These also appear on ebay.

Then, you need to connect the flash sync to the camera, somehow. Some flashes either have a sync cord, know as a PC (for Prontor-Contax, the inventor) cord, or have the option of adding one. There are also adapters that will fit into the cold shoe on the bracket and provide the hotshoe connection, via a PC cord.

Then, there are the Honeywell Strobonar "potato mashers". These are available on ebay all the time. Just be careful to get one with good batteries and a charger. These have a large, vertical handle and a bracket that screws into the tripod socket. Most have a quick release latch that attaches the flash to the bracket. I like this one, because I could detach the flash and hold it up, at arm's length above my head, to avoid red-eye, or bounce it off a wall or ceiling.

BTW, just in case you didn't know, always use the X-sync socket on the camera and always set the shutter speed at 1/60 or slower. This is the maximum synch speed for electronic flash.

06-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Use the X sync and make sure your shutter speed is set to whatever the x sync speed is Usually 1/60 or 1/30, something like that. Check your manual and look for flash synchronization. Use the wrong flash sync and you'll have half black photos.

JeffJS,thak you very much!
06-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Unfortunately, as I'm sure you are aware, the Spotmatic has no hotshoe for flash.

To attach a flash to your camera, you will need a bracket and a synch cord appropriate for your flash.

They made a small bracket that clipped over the viewfinder eyepiece. They are really quite flimsy and would only hold the smallest flash. They appear on ebay quite frequently.

There are many other brackets. One of the most popular, back in the day, was an L-shaped bracket that was hinged for storage. It screwed into the tripod socket and had an accessority shoe on top. These were usually NOT hotshoes, however. That is, there was no electrical contact for flash sync. These also appear on ebay.

Then, you need to connect the flash sync to the camera, somehow. Some flashes either have a sync cord, know as a PC (for Prontor-Contax, the inventor) cord, or have the option of adding one. There are also adapters that will fit into the cold shoe on the bracket and provide the hotshoeThen, there are the Honeywell Strobonar "potato mashers". These are available on ebay all the time. Just be careful to get one with good batteries and a charger. These have a large, vertical handle and a bracket that screws into the tripod socket. Most have a quick release latch that attaches the flash to the bracket. I like this one, because I could detach the flash and hold it up, at arm's length above my head, to avoid red-eye, or bounce it off a wall or ceiling.

BTW, just in case you didn't know, always use the X-sync socket on the camera and always set the shutter speed at 1/60 or slower. This is the maximum synch speed for electronic flash.
noblepa,thank you so much for your detailed instruction. Well,I would use my electronic hotshoe flash as off camera lighting(maybe buy one or more brackets to fix it ),using PC cord connecting to X socket.The shutter will be 1/60 or slower. On-camera flash always can not get good lighting.I think this will work.Am I right?
Frankly speaking I like this forum much more because I find that I can get what I want to know very quickly.