Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Travelling and tripods

Hey People.

I will be travelling to Canada sometime soon and was thinking if it is a good idea to take a tripod. I don't have one at the moment but was considering getting something lightweight.

Just wondering if any other travellers out there take tripods? Or is there an alternate option such as a gorilla pod which will be OK for long exposure?

A tripod would be ideal but it seems like a large bulky item to travel with.

06-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Forum Member

Some people bring beanbags to stabilize their camera. Lightweight and convenient.
06-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I travel with 2. A table top manfrotto 709b, and a travel tripod, a Benro C-1691 (folds down to just 43.5cm). Wouldnt be without either.

Benro:

Manfrotto

Last edited by twitch; 06-18-2011 at 11:57 PM.
06-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was given a gorilla pod for Christmas as I travel some for work, but I don't find it helps much more than a bean bag. If your looking for something for travel, measure your suitcase then see what's available that will collapse inside the case (perhaps diagonally). I have Manfrotto that has 4 sections to the legs, so it's a little more of a hassle to extend, but it collapses to a small package.

06-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

if you don't already use one I'm not sure getting one for your trip is worthwhile. Since you don't have one that suggests to me that long exposure shots are not your 'thing'.
06-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
well I'm pretty new to the whole photography thing and have been meaning to get one. Seeing as I will be leaving soon, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for when I travel. Perhaps one like twitch mentioned would do the trick
06-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I travel with 2. A table top manfrotto 709b, and a travel tripod, a Benro C-1691 (folds down to just 43.5cm). Wouldnt be without either.

Benro:

Manfrotto
+1. I have the Manfrotto MKC3-H01 (45cm) and a Hama tabletop for travel. Not cheap but both very sturdy, well-made.
06-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by camo Quote
well I'm pretty new to the whole photography thing and have been meaning to get one. Seeing as I will be leaving soon, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for when I travel. Perhaps one like twitch mentioned would do the trick
It can be worthwhile. Sort of depends on what your individual tastes run toward.

I would like to point out that if you foresee doing some long exposure shooting then in addition to a tripod you may wish to consider either a cable release or a remote control type shutter release.....one that allows you to lock the shutter open when in Bulb mode. Otherwise you're going to be limited to maximum exposures of thirty seconds. Tripods are very useful for lots of stuff, even without a remote release, but a release is a must for shots over thirty seconds.

06-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

One bit of advice too, don't use a tripod for the first time when you are on holiday. It's far better to practice with it a couple of times, say taking night cityscapes in your home town, before packing it for a holiday. I learnt a huge amount about my equipment and exposure in my first trips out which meant I was able to get the photos I wanted when I took night shots on holiday.
06-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
ok thanks guys. I do like the idea of using a bean bag due to size and weight. However just can't see it being of much use if the is no bench/table to raise the camera.

Has anyone any experience with the gorilla pod?
06-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

A gorilla pod is flexible with no way of locking it down. Flexible = unstable. Good for flash, not so much for camera, anyway they are bigger and heavier than table top tripods.