Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax IR Remote "F" - DIED

Not that I use it much, but it just wouldn't trigger the camera when I DID need it.

Took it home, took it apart, got a new battery in- and it's STILL non-functional.

Tested the new batt and got 2.4VDC (should be 3V.0
Tested the old batt and it showed 2.1VDC.

Thing just die like that?

Wondered if anyone else had a IR "F" give up like that.
(I have found, and obtained, a nice replacement for a whopping $1.80 from an eBay source.)

I guess I should just file it in the round bin?
But, it'd be nice to have two - one backing up the other.
TNX

06-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Theo,
Have one myself,still working so I havent had need to open.Am "supicously" curious
about it as it's stated in instructions unit needs to be taken to dealer for cell change.
To "heck" with that.

Not sure what cell is required,but replacment cell no-load voltage sounds somewhat low
if its what I generally assume it to be.

If you havent already,inspect and clean terminal if required,in addition eye entire layout
for integrity.Bright light and magifying lens could help during inspection.

Focus attention on push button as its possible that opening case could result
in mis-alignment and malfunction,maybe verify operation of PB with continuity tester.

Apologize for being somewhat vague,never had any reason to service.That time
will come,hopefully you might give me an ideal of what Im "in for"
06-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Same thing happened to be(second one).
I do wish they were more available to buy though.

Last time I grabbed one, they were something like 10USD here on the site.
Had I of known they didn't last, I would have grabbed a handful for backup.
06-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like your 'new' battery isn't. Should be 3 to 3.1 volts no load. Take it back and get another.

07-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Follow UP

I swapped batts- measured at 3VDC.
Still no function.

As you know, these are pretty expensive batts.

Then I found a viable alternative REMOTE CONTROL on fleabay, for $1.90, shipped.

Works like a champ.
Heck, buy two for the money a batt costs.

THANKS FOR INPUT and RECs.

Last edited by TheoSixx; 07-21-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: corrected viable alternative item
07-20-2011, 06:42 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

If you want to know if the remote works without testing the battery or after replacing the battery, it is actually easy.
There are many devices you can use to eyeball test it if functioning or not or if the battery is low on juice.
This works for all IR remotes even for the TV or DVD player.
All you need is a celphone with a camera or if your DSLR has "live view" then I guess it would work also.
Anyway, start-up the celphone camera and point the IR remote to it (camera lens) and press to activate (remote)..no need to click the celphone cam just place it on "live view" mode so you can see if remote would light up or not as if viewing a video.
Cameras on celphones are sensitive to IR so what you normally see as invisible would be visible on the celphone camera/screen. You would be able to see if the IR LED would glow or light up bright (working and strong battery) or not light up at all or dim light (battery dead, remote not working or if dim glow need to replace battery).
That is how I have been testing IR remotes for years and not a lot of people know that.
Hope it helps!
07-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Many of the inexpensive universal TV remotes will also work with Pentax cameras. The 9 dollar RCA sold in Walmart lists Pentax as compatible products.

07-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Many of the inexpensive universal TV remotes will also work with Pentax cameras. The 9 dollar RCA sold in Walmart lists Pentax as compatible products.
Have you tried it? Once upon a time, Pentax sold VCR's and VHS Camcorders. The cheapo universal remote may be including those. I don't think that Pentax actually manufactured them; I think they rebadged them, so the remote probably works for the "real" maker, and they simply included Pentax.

A universal TV remote would probably be pretty big for field use.

I have a cheap remote I bought from eBay, that works for Pentax, Nikon and Canon cameras. I recently bought a genuine Pentax Remote F, so I could carry it in my battery grip. I've only had it for a couple of months, and only used it a few times, but, so far, so good.
07-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheoSixx Quote
Not that I use it much, but it just wouldn't trigger the camera when I DID need it.

Took it home, took it apart, got a new battery in- and it's STILL non-functional.

(I have found, and obtained, a nice replacement for a whopping $1.80 from an eBay source.)

TNX
My PTX 39892 Remote died about the same way, although I never bothered to take it apart. instead I have found the CS-205 Cable switch to be more reliable and easier to use.
07-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

found a viable alternative REMOTE CONTROL on fleabay, for $1.90, shipped.
Great Theo, possible to provide little more info,should need arise?

Kinda do what Digimack says myself. Just my opinion,hard wired remote
bit more reliable and somewhat more flexible(cold weather especially,in my case)

Have 2 cable switch(s), first is pentax OEM CS.Other is a "cheapo" that I
upgrade wire size on,to take care of voltage drop.Increased length of lead
to about 6 meters (18 feet). Works fine on my K20.Added bonus is
Im able to use same on 2 ZX-L's that are my redundant backups to another
film body I have.

Bill
07-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Had to give you a thumbs up. Just tried your trick. I have two remotes for my K20D. The Pentax type F and a universal Promaster. The Universal Promaster does not work, nor does it work in your test even though I can see the light from the Pentax using my cellphone.

Really handy and nice.
07-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Had to give you a thumbs up. Just tried your trick. I have two remotes for my K20D. The Pentax type F and a universal Promaster. The Universal Promaster does not work, nor does it work in your test even though I can see the light from the Pentax using my cellphone.

Really handy and nice.
Works on all remotes that use IR to see if unit is dead/not functioning or battery is dead.
Cause of remotes not functioning too might be the button not making contact when pressed.
If you short the contacts directly (while looking into celcam to see if it activates) and nothing still happens then remote is really dead.
If activates with direct shorting of contacts, then graphite on rubber (button) might have rubbed off or become dirty, just glue aluminum foil directly on rubber pad.
07-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TNX
I got one of those cheap ones too, it's got a longer range than the F.
07-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Why not get a Yongnuo 2$ remote and be done with it?
07-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Why not get a Yongnuo 2$ remote and be done with it?

For one thing, the cheap, Chinese ebay remotes won't fit in the battery grip.

I have one of the cheap ones and it works fine, but I bought a genuine Pentax remote, so I could carry it in the grip.