Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
First Dopey Question....

I am having fun learning about all the different things I can do with my new K-x, but
my first question is this:

When using a manual focus lens in most of the manual modes, the camera will always ask me to set the focal length before taking pictures. If I am using my
135mm Super Albinar do I set the focal length to 135 and so on for the different lenses?

Hope this is not a dopey question....

Thanks in advance!

Rick

06-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that focal length is what the camera uses to appropriately apply shake reduction.
06-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Aaaaaah..........

so if i use my 500mm tele lens......input 500mm focal length..........135 for135..
and so on.

Thanks so much
06-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kx-Rick Quote
Aaaaaah..........

so if i use my 500mm tele lens......input 500mm focal length..........135 for135..
and so on.

Thanks so much

Correct. Its one of the big advantages of the Pentax system using in-body shake reduction instead of lens-based image stabilization. Means we have shake reduction even for old lenses

06-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good, you didn't fall into the crap.factor fallacy! The SR'bot wants to know the lens' actual focal length, or as close to it as possible.

What to look for next: If you use a teleconverter with a lens, enter the multiplied focal length. So if you had a 50mm lens with a 1.4x TC, you would enter 50x1.4= 70mm (if possible -- 75mm is close enough). For a 50mm lens with a 2x TC, you would enter 50x2= 100mm. Et cetera.

This works for all primes. Manual zooms are another matter. For best results, enter the focal length you are using. But if you zoom a lot, that gets tedious. Someone here posted a formula for approximating the best entry:
(2 * min * max) / (min + max)
where min is the zoom's minimum focal length, and max is its maximum. Of if that's all too tedious, just shoot manual zooms in bright light with a fast shutter and turn SR off. That's how we did it Back In The Day. If we had zooms, of course. Newfangled gadgets...