Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #31
Inactive Account

Hopefully the repair people are competent and will determine not only that the circuit board failed but will try to find out why it failed.
If for example some sort of short circuit or whatever blew out the board, just replacing the board will not solve the problem. The next one will blow out also.
I would think an official company repair facility would track down all possibilities.
Let us know in a few months if all is well.

07-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #32

Original Poster
I plan on it starting in the morning!
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #33

Original Poster
Called Pentax again to hound them, I seriously cannot believe that it will take 6 weeks to get a new circuit board, and that the problem will be resolved and won't happen again.
I kept asking to speak with a supervisor and kept going up until I spoke with someone who would agree that this was a problem. They have now made a note on my work order that if my part is not in by august 1st that a new body will be issued.
But that doesn't mean a new body will be on its way come august 2nd a new body will in the mail. That could take more time. ACK- back to the 6 weeks. So calling back tomorrow to push a bit more. This is rediculous!
07-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #34

Original Poster
Just called yet again- my part still has not arrived. On week 5 now. I was told by the rep "he did not havea crystal ball and could not tell me when they would issue a replacement" what a load of crap!! When Asked if my replacement would be shipped on monday, he said that process could take a minimum of 15 business days. Seriously disgusted!

QuoteOriginally posted by pamones Quote
Called Pentax again to hound them, I seriously cannot believe that it will take 6 weeks to get a new circuit board, and that the problem will be resolved and won't happen again.
I kept asking to speak with a supervisor and kept going up until I spoke with someone who would agree that this was a problem. They have now made a note on my work order that if my part is not in by august 1st that a new body will be issued.
But that doesn't mean a new body will be on its way come august 2nd a new body will in the mail. That could take more time. ACK- back to the 6 weeks. So calling back tomorrow to push a bit more. This is rediculous!

07-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you get a full refund and move on?
07-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just don't understand why they won't just issue a new body.
Because it is cheaper to repair a product than give you a new one.

When your Ford pops a fuel pump, they don't give you a new car, even if it's new.

That is what warranties are for and you take your chances.

Too bad about your camera, though.
07-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Because it is cheaper to repair a product than give you a new one.

When your Ford pops a fuel pump, they don't give you a new car, even if it's new.

That is what warranties are for and you take your chances.

Too bad about your camera, though.
No, but if it takes a month to get the fuel pump, the dealer might give you a free loaner. It's really a different model in the auto industry because of the involvement of dealers in the service process, which is completely different than the photo industry. I'm not familiar with Ford warranties, but I'm thinking that Ford would declare the month out-of-service as an issue for you and the dealer to fight out.

Paul

07-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cant compare everything to cars - take a look
08-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #39

Original Poster
I have had my K-5 back for about a month after they replaced the circuit board, and last night in the middle of a session it started acting up again, just like it did before the board got fried the first time. I have the mirror flops like others have posted in another thread, I also have my camera set on single exposure but it will take about 3-4 when I push the shutter button. The other thing it does is when I turn the camera off- the display on the top of the camera stays on.

I fear I am about to fry yet another circuit board, and have my k20 with me at all times for back up. I am really not looking forward to another 6+ week wait to get my camera back again.
08-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take your well documented history to Pentax - and do not stop at the supervisor. Just ask to speak to Ned the president of pentax usa. It might not do any good, but it certainly will not hurt anything. It certainly sounds like a new unit or a full refund would be the right thing to do.

Have a sheet prepared with all of your talking points and decide before hand what you want. Then call.

Let us know what happens - please. I am thinking of a K5 and am interested in how this turns out. Maybe everyone with K5 problems needs to call Ned....

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-27-2011 at 05:54 PM.
08-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #41

Original Poster
I plan on calling them this afternoon when my kids are napping, so I can focus on the call, and not be distracted, will update soon!
08-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #42

Original Poster
Just called, they want me to send my camera to CRIS yet again to replace the circuit board yet again, even though this one hasn't gotten fried yet. I insisted on speaking with a supervisor and conveniently there was no supervisor available. I am emotionally done with dealing with Pentax, this is rediculous! I insisted on speaking with a supervisor and conveniently there was no supervisor available.
08-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #43

Original Poster
So a supervisor finally called me.... 7 hours later.... for my troubles they are offering to send me a shipping label so I wouldn't have to spend the $12 to ship my camera to cris cam yet again. Ohhh gee, that's an amazing offer NOT! Foliage season is right around the corner. I cannot afford to be with out my camera again for another 5-6 weeks. I told them I believe I have a Lemon, and should either get my money back or a replacement. And of coarse he wasn't authorized to deal with such requests...

Oh and he also claims he hasn't heard anything about the mirror flop issue at all. Bull Crap!
08-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
Pentaxian

So a supervisor finally called me.... 7 hours later.... for my troubles they are offering to send me a shipping label so I wouldn't have to spend the $12 to ship my camera to cris cam yet again. Ohhh gee, that's an amazing offer NOT! Foliage season is right around the corner. I cannot afford to be with out my camera again for another 5-6 weeks. I told them I believe I have a Lemon, and should either get my money back or a replacement. And of coarse he wasn't authorized to deal with such requests...

Oh and he also claims he hasn't heard anything about the mirror flop issue at all. Bull Crap!
Did you buy your camera with a credit such as Master Card or Visa? I you did, try to call them and see if there is anything they can do about it. Normally those credit card companies have extra warranty included which might able to refund you.

Food for thoughts.
08-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

No way....when I heard six weeks I would be on the phone and be removing the charge from my credit card. Been there done that, and it works like magic. You send me a new camera and we can talk...you don't, we're done.....I have a broken camera and you have nothing. You do not have to accept poor service, it is your choice.
Regards!