Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Comparing before and after PP

The first photo is out of camera with no PP. Why is it "pale".

I find that I frequently have to adjust levels to get the pictures as I like them. If the goal is to do everything (as much as possible) in camera, how do I fix this in camera?

Attached Images

06-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #2

I consider the image from the camera just the first step in the process of getting a picture rready to show. There will always be the need to do some form of PP to et the final look you are looking for. I have done this since my dark room days printing B&W film pictures using various contrast filters. As long the base image has the feel of what you are looking for (either straight forward of dramatic under exposure, depending on what you want) you can go in after the fact to fine tune it to the look you have in you minds eye. That is the beauty of photography, you can create whatever look you is fit to meet your needs.

Last edited by stevbike; 06-20-2011 at 09:03 AM.
06-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

First, get your white balance set right. No pun intended, I realize that not everyone in the photo is 'white' but even the two or three who are, look ill, in both photos.

Second, if you have a filter on the lens, take it off.

Third, take a look at what type of JPG processing the camera is using. There are several options and they don't all suit pictures of people.

06-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The camera sensor records a sh!tload of data. It's up to SOMEBODY to make sense of that data. The engineered camera settings allow various ways to work with that data, not necessarily to your liking. Even though I usually do my best to get shots "right, in the camera", I end up PP'ing EVERYTHING. (AWB is especially a problem.) I must outsmart the camera and its engineers!

One way to minimize PP tweaks: Shoot RAW, but with your desired JPG settings -- these carry over as defaults. In RAW development, tweak those settings to whatever you like, and TAKE NOTES! For your next shoot in the same conditions, change the camera's JPG settings to the ones that worked in PP.

06-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The first one doesn't look pale to me. The colour cast is horrible though - the white balance is wrong.

Is your screen calibrated at all?
06-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Shoot RAW, but with your desired JPG settings
Are you saying shoot RAW+? I shoot RAW, and then do PP (if necessary, and it usually is) in Photoshop Elements. I also save a copy as JPEG if needed.
06-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Move them around a bit to begin with. They looked all oddly stacked. The position with one blind closed behind and one open hasn't helped. If it was in your control then another location in the room with more even light might be better.
06-20-2011, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrThallid Quote
The first photo is out of camera with no PP. Why is it "pale".

I find that I frequently have to adjust levels to get the pictures as I like them. If the goal is to do everything (as much as possible) in camera, how do I fix this in camera?
I'll take a shot in the dark, no pun intended...

I think you're lighting is a little off, what may cause your "pale" image is a slight amount of lens flare. Some lenses are more prone to flare than others. Strong light is coming from behind the person to the right... shadows on faces indicate most of the light source is almost right above them, (making some eyes look a little sunken) which means it may also be slightly into your lens. Lens flare will cause your image to lose contrast.

Auto White Balance, in my experience works nicely indoors if you have "some" natural light filtering in, it does not work well when there is very little natural light filtering in, and is even worse when the majority of light is coming from a fluorescent source. Fluorescent and incandescent lighting will most likely cause your images to take on a yellowish tone when using AWB setting on your camera...

My only advice would be to keep practicing and be more aware of where your light source is coming from...

06-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Shooting for JPEG requires a core set of aspects to be gotten right from the outset. Exposure, white balance and custom image settings. Without each of these parts being right for your shots, there will always be a need for PP by computer software to optimise their look.

Start with this and you may get success in getting your intended results straight 'out of the camera'.
06-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Are you saying shoot RAW+? I shoot RAW, and then do PP (if necessary, and it usually is) in Photoshop Elements. I also save a copy as JPEG if needed.
I shoot RAW only. The JPG settings carry over as defaults into the RAW developer. At least they do with PentaxPhotoLab3 (SilkyPix). So my tweaking is based on those settings, rather than starting from flat with each picture. I *might* make extensive changes, especially to generate B&W images with different types of filtration. But I always start with the JPG settings.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-21-2011 at 04:03 PM.
06-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, RioRico.
06-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I don't know if you camera has this function, but try putting the settings on "vivid" (or equivelent) instead of "natural" in the menu. this will help get more vivid colours you seem to prefer that according to the shots you posted
Or just shooting in .pef (raw) like others (including myself) prefer

hope this helps and good luck

cheers