Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #16

Original Poster
How do you tell the difference? Is it the WR designation? I see some listings with it and some without, but the pics seem to look the same.

06-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
IF you're going to go with the Kit lens, then you'll want the version 2 (DAL II) or the WR version (which optically, I believe is the same as the version 2). Here is an example..

SMC PENTAX DA 18-55MM F/3.5-5.6 Lens AL WR W/HOOD CAP | eBay

The DAL version is optically the same as the II version as I recall but has no quick shift for focusing. Its cheaper than the II or WR too.
06-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The DA-L also has a plastic mount instead of metal if that concerns you. I have not read any reports of problems with the plastic mount, but just thought you would like to know. Also, it does not include a hood.
06-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
The DA-L also has a plastic mount instead of metal if that concerns you. I have not read any reports of problems with the plastic mount, but just thought you would like to know. Also, it does not include a hood.
Good points. Non-OEM hoods for it run $3-12 dollars depending on type (3-stage rubber vs. bayonet hard hoods).

06-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #20

Original Poster
Well, after examining all of the options, I decided for now to order a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens from Amazon for $299 - $60 rebate along with 8 of the eneloop batts and charger. This should give me a good all around shooting lens. The price is good, and a 6 year warranty sure beats the Sigma warranty. I am planning for sure on selling the 50-200mm that is coming with the camera as I don't need both, and depending on what I think, I may or may not sell the 70-300mm lens also. I realize that this isn't the ideal lens for indoor shooting, but it will work for now. At least I won't have to be changing lenses all of the time. I just couldn't see the sense in spending $100+ on either the kit lens or the Sigma 18-50mm, and still having to change lenses for just everyday shots. Later, maybe I'll save up a bit and pick up a better lens for just indoor shots.

I think I made a good choice based on the reviews, but what do you guys think?

Last edited by voigts; 06-21-2011 at 12:04 PM.
06-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by voigts Quote
Well, after examining all of the options, I decided for now to order a Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens from Amazon for $299 - $60 rebate along with 8 of the eneloop batts and charger. This should give me a good all around shooting lens. The price is good, and a 6 year warranty sure beats the Sigma warranty. I am planning for sure on selling the 50-200mm that is coming with the camera as I don't need both, and depending on what I think, I may or may not sell the 70-300mm lens also. I realize that this isn't the ideal lens for indoor shooting, but it will work for now. At least I won't have to be changing lenses all of the time. I just couldn't see the sense in spending $100+ on either the kit lens or the Sigma 18-50mm, and still having to change lenses for just everyday shots. Later, maybe I'll save up a bit and pick up a better lens for just indoor shots.

I think I made a good choice based on the reviews, but what do you guys think?
Question answered problem solved. Let us know what YOU think when you have everything put together.