Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Metz Flash

Does anyone have any experience with the Metz 24 AF flash? I am looking to get a cheap flash that is better than the on camera flash.

The reflector swivels and I am wondering if this is as effective as the normal bounce flashes. I am also wondering about the brightness of the flash, if it will be enough for a normal indoor room (kitchen, living room size).

I am having a hard time finding reviews on the Metz 24 and so I am wondering if anyone has any input.

Thanks. If this is in the wrong forum...sorry.

06-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the reason they can use that reflector type is that the head doesn't zoom. The more expensive models change flash coverage angle to match the lens's angle of view. I don't see why that design should affect the bounce ability. However, the lack of zoom makes the flash somewhat less flexible. It'll be OK in a narrower range of focal lengths than a zoom design, and a zoom design is better for long distances.

The other weakness is power. It's better than the on-camera flash but when you bounce the flash, power is essential. I notice right away when I go from a room with 8' ceilings to 9' ceilings. This flash might not be terrific at bouncing except under ideal conditions.

Just based on specs, I'd be afraid that the 24 is just too bottom line, and in a short time I'd want something else. I might not use all the capability of my high-end flash but I'm not tempted to buy another one.