Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Using 500mm f8 tele on my Kx

Hi everyone......

I have been playing around with a Kalimar 500mm tele lens with an f8 app setting being the lowest setting on it. It doesn't seem to get enough light into the sensor
when I use it, so I am wondering how to step down the f8 in the camera to get brighter pics. it shoots clear pics, but i have to use my Photoscape to bring the brightness up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...........

Rick

06-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can't change the aperture, you have to change shutter speed or ISO. A slower shutter speed and/or a higher ISO number will both make the picture brighter. Each have their own drawbacks.

Shutter speed should be high enough to eliminate camera shake. Below about 1/500 sec., consider a tripod or some other way of holding the camera still. The number is a guideline; some people can go lower and some can't. It should be fast enough to freeze motion you want frozen, but that's usually less of an issue than shake.

ISO should be low enough to keep noise under control. On a K-x, something like ISO 1600 should be OK. Remember that you might see noise at 100% on a computer screen that is invisible in an 8" x 12" print. Noise is more obvious if your image has a lot of shadows, you boost brightness-related settings in processing or view large images close-up.

In M mode, it's easier to control these settings individually. The camera will suggest something, just change it to a different number. It's also easier to change both ISO and shutter a little bit in M mode for a combined effect.
06-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kx-Rick Quote
Hi everyone......

I have been playing around with a Kalimar 500mm tele lens with an f8 app setting being the lowest setting on it. It doesn't seem to get enough light into the sensor
when I use it, so I am wondering how to step down the f8 in the camera to get brighter pics. it shoots clear pics, but i have to use my Photoscape to bring the brightness up.

Rick
Hang on, it shoots "clear" but not "bright". f8 is still f8 regardless of the focal length. Are the shots showing as being "correctly" exposed when you adjust ISO and/or shutter speed appropriately? Are they underexposed?

Maybe post an example shot with the EXIF intact so we can see what you mean.

500 mm will tend to exaggerate the effect of any mist or dust in the air and compress the exposure at longer distances a bit. It might be just a characterisic of the lens and the focal length you are using it at which wil mean you'll need to PP or possibly make comromises when you shoot.
06-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

All good advice above. 1/500 at f/8 at ISO 200+ should work for still sunlit subjects. Your Kx excels at high-ISO performance, so don't be afraid to let ISO float up to 2000 for still objects, and to 4800 for people shots. In dimmer light, use a tripod (and turn off SR). You will want to watch out for speckled light in the background so you aren't overwhelmed with doughnut bokeh.

Long lenses, whether mirrors or not, are NOT good for distance shots on warm-to-hot days, nor in particulate- nor water-laden air. Hot air roils; thick air diffracts light; images are faded, fuzzy. I use my 500/8 mirror on less-than-clear urban days to pick out figures and faces from 100 feet away or less. Even 100 yards may be too far for a sharp shot except in cold clear still air. Use the mirror as a precise scalpel to surgically separate not-too-distant subjects from their surroundings.

06-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
Posting pics with EXIF data

Thanks for all the great info. As mentioned somewhere in my notes, I am using Photoscape editing software that I got from CNET. I have the disc that came with
my K-x also, so would that be better to use for editing and posting photos that
contain EXIF data?
06-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the great info. As mentioned somewhere in my notes, I am using Photoscape editing software that I got from CNET. I have the disc that came with
my K-x also, so would that be better to use for editing and posting photos that
contain EXIF data?
Not sure on Photoscape but if you resize with the Pentax software it maintains the EXIF. Ensure the software has the latest update first (4.32) then use File | Save As and click on "change image size" in the Save as dialogue. Enter 800 in the pixel width ans save the file. Upload that saved file and the exif should be retained (as long as it is there to begin with).
06-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Bill

been trying to get the disc and the update to run, but will not open for some reason.

06-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi everyone......

Rick
You don't mention your settings on your K-x, but if I remember correctly, the Kalimars are T2-mount types and you will have to operate your camera in Manual Mode and use the green button to get correct exposure.
06-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
Shot today over in Benicia near the pier in the manual mode with recommended settings.
Kalimar 500mm lens @1/500@f8@ISO400 on tripod.
No software touch ups.
Thanks to all for the input.
This is a long lens and not a mirror lens.

Last edited by Kx-Rick; 06-27-2011 at 03:56 PM.
06-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have used Photscape about a dozen times. I like it. Lots of nice filters and tools. It will not strip exif unless you tell it to.
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ok Matt.............how can I post photos from Photoscape containing the exif data?
06-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm sure you can either attach the image taken from it's location on your computer using the board's attachment management or by copying the URL if using online photo sharing sites like Photobucket or flickr. There is at least one other thread about posting images in this subforum that saw traffic yesterday. Or there is a thread that has been permanently posted as well.

Like this one Or this one.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 06-28-2011 at 05:42 AM.
06-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I'm sure you can either attach the image taken from it's location on your computer using the board's attachment management or by copying the URL if using online photo sharing sites like Photobucket or flickr. There is at least one other thread about posting images in this subforum that saw traffic yesterday. Or there is a thread that has been permanently posted as well.

Like this one Or this one.

Thanks Matt.....i'll dig deeper