Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

[langtitle=es]More pixels= better photos?[/langtitle]

If I have an K-r with 12 Megapixels, itīs quality is bad regarding the K-5 that has more megapixels?

Then thereīs more quality in the photos?

More always is better quality?

With my lens 30-80 mm and 80-200 mm the K-r will give me high quality or I need to buy the K-5?

Iīll take pictures: tourism, family, nature and academic events

I have to buy another camera in a little time?

Thanks from Costa Rica

Last edited by fedor42; 06-23-2011 at 05:51 PM.
06-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No.
image quality is not directly linked to resolution (pixels), and has to do a lot with color rendition, tonal range, and other factors...
Resolution is important for print size...but then for normal prints and usage 4 Mp is enough... even if you printed a bit larger the usage of such print and it's probable viewing distance will be a bit further, it'll be intended to be looked at a further distance (so you wouldn't notice the "imperfections").
Higher megapixels alone do not mean that the camera will have better IQ..it'll let you crop more, or use bigger prints, but it does not mean that it'll be "better".

Image quality has much more to do with the glass you mount on your camera, and with your composition and light handling ability.
06-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fedor42 Quote
If I have an K-r with 12 Megapixels, itīs quality is bad regarding the K-5 that has more megapixels?

Then thereīs more quality in the photos?

With my lens 30-80 mm and 80-200 mm the K-r will give me high quality or I need to buy the K-5?

Iīll take pictures: tourism, family, nature and academic events

I have to buy another camera in a little time?

Thanks from Costa Rica
Not at all. With decent lenses and good technique your Kr will produce excellent photos. I've never heard of a 30-80mm lens and I don't know what 80-200 you have, so I can't comment on how good those might be, but I suspect technique might be the bigger culprit. You need to put some time into learning how to use your camera and then put time into practicing what you learn. Better photos will come.
06-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed. Especially with those lenses, you will be more limited by technique and artistic eye. Don't worry about the K-5, enjoy your K-r!

06-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get more acquainted to your very fine K-r and you'll get great results no matter what camera you use.
But if you expect that the K-5 will suddenly transform your results, you will be disappointed.
Enjoy your photography, first and foremost.
06-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As with everyone here on this thread more megapixels doesn't automatically give you better photos. In fact some of my favorite shots I've ever taken have been with my K100Ds with it's 6MP sensor. My new K5 also takes wonderful photos, I just have larger files to work with now.
06-23-2011, 08:23 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

More megapickles mostly give a psychological boost and not much else. When camera makers continuously release models with more megapickles, we may feel driven to 'upgrade' sooner. OH NO, THE NEW CAMERA IS 15MPX AND MINE IS ONLY 12! I AM SO INFERIOR! HIS IS BIGGER THAN MINE! I MUST SPEND MORE MONEY OR ELSE I AM ONLY A GIRLY-BOY! Et cetera. As with other aspects of life, size is less important than knowing what to do with it.

The differences between K5 and Kr are deeper than the slight variation in sensor size, mainly being WR (weather resistance) and controls layout, or so I have read. Both are first-rate cameras that can produce first-rate images. Remember that a camera is a box upon which to hang lenses. As mentioned, lenses (which may last a century) are much more significant for image quality than are camera bodies (which may be obsolete in well under a decade).

Stop worrying. Get out there and shoot!

06-23-2011, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's some advice I heard many years ago.

"To take better pictures, stand in front of better stuff."

That's all you need to know.
06-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Here's some advice I heard many years ago.

"To take better pictures, stand in front of better stuff."

That's all you need to know.
Exactly. I have some excellent images taken with a 3.2 MP Canon point & shoot - I stood in front of what turned out to be some very good stuff, and had the wit to take some photos.

More pixels lets you make bigger prints - I wouldn't care to try an A3 (11" x 17") print with the Canon images - and it lets you crop more and still make decent prints. But unless you stand in front of good stuff you are printing and cropping poor images.
06-24-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There is a small theoretical advantage for small enlargements which grows as the extent of enlarging increases.

When enlarging and the crop of the smaller mp sensor exceeds 100% the larger mp sensor is much better (because it is not yet at an enlargement equivalent to 100% crop).
06-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fedor42 Quote
Yes if all else is equal but it never is.
06-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

12MP is a lot better than 1. But there would be virtually no discernible difference in most cases between 12 and 18. That's because 12MP is already more than you can view on screen or print at sizes under 8x10". Unless you regularly print bigger than that, you probably never even used all of your 12MP. And even if you do print larger, you typically wouldn't view the image from close enough to notice the difference between 12 and 18.
06-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

More megapixels does not always mean better. In the end optics do have some play in it. For example a bad lens on a K5 will produce worse image then a Kr with a ltd lens.

In addition to this more megapixels allow you to crop but if you dont crop and resize then the megapixels don't really provide a whole lot of benefits. Lastly with the release of the Pentax Q. The sensor is a 12mp one however since it is 1/2.33" sensor compared to the standard APS-C sensor which is larger image quality is expected to drop even though they are both 12mp.
06-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still use my *istD as well as K10D and K7D.

WHile the two newer cameras have much higher resolution sensors this image below from my *istD is one of the best I have ever EVER taken.

even with the image rescaled to upload, the quality is hard to beat.

sure, maybe with 14MP as opposed to 6, I could scale it up a little, but remember, this bird is only 4-5 inches long to begin with. Just how big do you NEED to print it?
06-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Estos son los lentes, la pregunta es si darán buenas fotos con una K-r, aunque estos sean viejos (pero están en excelente estado)

Saludos desde Costa Rica
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-T2  Photo