Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #16
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fascinating comments here. Runs like a pig on (my) laptop. You can't navigate the library. Etc. Aperture with updated OSX and a current version zips through a file search of metadata, allows you to start editing/previewing before the download off your card is even finished, provides virtually everything you need for indexed files including, as noted, referenced libraries stored/archived on an external disk, tremendous intuitive workflow and non-destructive file processing. Works like a charm on my five year-old iMac, 3 year-old Mac Pro and my daughter's 'white' MacBook. I wonder if some of the naysayers are caught-up in the Adobe 'that's the way we've always done it' stream of thinking? And by the way, PS Elements is also a great little program for many things and is worth a look for the price! But since the OP has Aperture and a presumed modern CPU, I think he ought to give it a fair try, c/w some of the excellent tutotrials available on such sites as Aperturexpert.com.

Last edited by jac; 06-25-2011 at 05:17 AM.
06-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Fascinating comments here. Runs like a pig on (my) laptop. You can't navigate the library. Etc. Aperture with updated OSX and a current version zips through a file search of metadata, allows you to start editing/previewing before the download off your card is even finished, provides virtually everything you need for indexed files including, as noted, referenced libraries stored/archived on an external disk, tremendous intuitive workflow and non-destructive file processing. Works like a charm on my five year-old iMac, 3 year-old Mac Pro and my daughter's 'white' MacBook. I wonder if some of the naysayers are caught-up in the Adobe 'that's the way we've always done it' stream of thinking? And by the way, PS Elements is also a great little program for many things and is worth a look for the price! But since the OP has Aperture and a presumed modern CPU, I think he ought to give it a fair try, c/w some of the excellent tutotrials available on such sites as Aperturexpert.com.
Aperture 3 needs at a minimum a Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM (8 GB is better), and a 9400M GPU. It also helps to keep your Library on an external drive if you have a slow laptop drive. Don't even bother with it if you have an Intel GMA GPU (the exception being the latest 13" MacBook Pro) or less than 4 GB of RAM.

FWIW I use it on an Early 2009 Mac mini (2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo) with 8 GB of RAM. Before I upgrade the RAM a simple action like switching to the Adjustments or Metadata tab would take several minutes (while it created a swap file). With 8 GB of RAM there is no need to create a swap file.

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-25-2011 at 07:00 AM.
06-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm. my machines about 4-5 years old do not support 8 gb of ram, and they will not run Aperture 3 efficiently. I talked about upgrading from 4-6, but, 6 apparently isn't enough, at least no one would guarantee me upgrading would fix the problem. I wouldn't recommend anyone run Aperture in less than 8 gb. My machines were lower end, there were machines when I bought mine that supported 8bg or more. It's not the age of the machine or the core2 duo thing (both my machines are Core2 duos ) but the memory... and the graphics card also makes a huge difference. The cheaper machines had really poor graphics cards.

My solution.. a 27 inch quad core i7... works like a charm.
06-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
t's not the age of the machine or the core2 duo thing (both my machines are Core2 duos ) but the memory... and the graphics card also makes a huge difference. The cheaper machines had really poor graphics cards..
Actually the processor does matter. The Core solo and duo were 32 bit chips and could not address more than 2 GB of RAM. No iMac or MacBook made before 2009 could address more than 6 GB and no iMac or MacBook made before mid-2007 could address more than 3 GB (You could install 4 GB but the firmware would only address 3.)

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-25-2011 at 08:21 AM.
06-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually the processor does matter. The Core solo and duo were 32 bit chips and could not address more than 2 GB of RAM. No iMac or MacBook made before 2009 could address more than 6 GB and no iMac or MacBook made before mid-2007 could address more than 3 GB (You could install 4 GB but the firmware would only address 3.)
You can put 8GB RAM in a late 2008 MB Pro with 10.6

New Macbook Late 2008 Supports up to 8gb ram - MacRumors Forums
06-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #21
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have aperture installed on my Mac, Is this worthwhile software to have?
Yes.
06-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

you should add the Nik plugins to Aperture.

06-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #23
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
you should add the Nik plugins to Aperture.
Ditto
07-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
Unregistered User

I run Aperture 3 on my 2008 macbook pro 2.4ghz duel core as well as my 3.2 ghz 8 core macpro of the same era.
It obviously runs a little smoother on the macpro tower but is more than tolerable on the macbook pro. I had bought these machines for my graphic design business and find they kick but in Aperture and Photoshop. Shooting all RAW files of course.

I use Aperture for my main program and do about 90% in it.
I have yet to find a lense correction adjustment in it though.

Through the preferences you can pick any program as an external editor.
I picked Photoshop cs5.

I only use photoshop for a couple things like content aware spot healing and Barel distortion correction.

I would go with these two.

Here is a little known hint:

On a Mac that supports 64 bit processing you can restart it and hold the 6 and 4 Keys down until the log in window shows up. This boots the machine into 64bit mode and aperture will scream. Photoshop cs5 is 64 bit as well. You can check to see if you have done it correctly by going to "about this mac" - "More info" - "software" Click on the software heading and read down for " 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes/No.

This set up has never failed me.

I also like the aperture export better for different things.

Good luck!
I hope you got Aperture from the app stor for $75

300 seems to mutch to me for what you get?

My Best

Jesse

Update:

My macbook pro is more than capable with Aperture.
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
GeForce 8600M GT
160 GB HD ( Not SSD )

You can google Apple Aperture Optimization/speed issues.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 07-04-2011 at 08:25 AM.
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #25

Lightroom 3

I do have Photoshop Elements as well but it isn't very intuitive and I haven't had the time to try to figure it out or take a class (I have a couple books that go unread). Best way to determine what is right for you is to do a trial. All the ones that charge you money offer a 30 day free trial I believe. You'll quickly learn which ones you like and don't after a few days of using them.