Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #1

K200 Crash

Hi, I was out on a shoot two days ago shooting a sunset. Took about a dozen or so shots. It was still quite light out and noticed there was an interesting sky above. I pointed the camera toward the sky and pressed the shutter release, and suddenly the camera went into what I can only describe as though the camera was set on continuous mode but much, much faster. I turned switch to off and it still continued. By the time I got the camera off the tripod,tripod mount and verticle grip to get at the batteries it began slowing down as the batteries were being depleated. I took the batteries out and it stopped. I then installed new batteries and everything was fine except the camera had returned to it's default settings from 2 years ago. Other than that it seems to be working fine. I assumed it crashed, but why? It's a K200D and still under warrenty till July 06. Any suggestions?

JOHN

06-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If under warranty, send it for repair. Before, document well the incident incl. keep all the shots taken during the incident. It may help the repair guys to find the pb. Be safe and use the warranty to your advantage.
06-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jdowler Quote
....... and suddenly the camera went into what I can only describe as though the camera was set on continuous mode but much, much faster. I turned switch to off and it still continued. ......I took the batteries out and it stopped. I then installed new batteries and everything was fine........
JOHN
Now THAT is a peculiar coincidence! I experienced essentially the same with my K200D about a week ago. You can see my story in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/148741-has-anyone-...r-failure.html

Only difference seems to be that my camera did not revet to default setting.

Explanation = ?????

How many shutter actuations on your K200D? As you sill see from the link above I have some 36.000 actuations.

Last edited by Stone G.; 06-26-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
06-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think the K200D is known to suffer some odd behaviour when the batteries are running low, particularly when the battery grip is attached. Does that sound likely? IŽve never had any such problems from mine (fingers crossed). Unless it keeps doing it, IŽd say it doesnŽt warrent being sent for a repair.

06-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks very much guys for your help. I'm going down right now to send it off to the Pentax Fortress. Going to be sad not being able to shoot for a few weeks, but it will give a chance to get caught up on processing my holiday pics I took a couple of weeks ago while in northern California.

Thanks again, John